Friday, July 13, 2007

Thirteen Rolls

Well, I mean, bread, I mean...
I've got to have bread to live.
-Anthony Quinn

I can walk away from homemade pie. I can politely decline a hot-from-the-oven cookie. A slice of cake. I don't have a sweet tooth. But the bread basket? Fugeddaboutit. I now avoid Panera Bread and Cheesecake Factory and Olive Garden - three of my very favorites - because once that napkin-covered basket passes, I'm a goner.

I love fresh-baked bread. But bread and I ... we have a decidedly love/hate relationship: it loves my thighs and I hate working to keep it off them. That's why Monday - the day I baked FOUR test batches of rolls for my cookbook - was probably the most difficult day of my young life. [Grin]

Anyway, Monday aside, I thought I'd sneak you my family's all time favorite roll recipe from my upcoming cookbook. (Don't tell.) If you've never made homemade rolls, this is for you. If you're terrified to try, this recipe is for you. Just mix, dump, cut, and bake... and try not to eat five before dinner.

Texas Farmhouse Rolls

1 pkg. (1/4 oz. / 7 g) rapid rise yeast
1 c. warm water
3 T. sugar
3 T. vegetable oil
1 ½ t. salt
2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast and sugar over the surface of warm water. (If you’re Alton Brown, that’s 110-115 degrees F. If you’re me, you test by taking a teaspoon full of warm water and touching it to your chin or wrist. If it’s warm – like a baby’s bottle – it’s perfect for dissolving yeast.) Let sit 2-3 minutes. Nicely swirl in vegetable oil. Add salt and flour and stir until combined.

Cover with clean towel and place in a warm, draft-free place and let rise at least one hour or until doubled in size. (If your room is cold – less than 75 degrees – it may take longer. If it’s a rainy day… and therefore the barometric pressure is low… your dough may proof much faster.) Your mixture, after several moments, will look a bit frothy and soupy, like this:

Turn dough onto floured board or counter. Adding flour as necessary to prevent sticking, knead dough 1-2 minutes. Lightly roll or flatten dough back onto floured surface. Using a knife, cut dough into pieces. (I typically get 13 rolls – a baker’s dozen – out of this recipe. You may choose to cut smaller or larger rolls depending on the crowd you’re feeding.)

Place rolls – seam side down – on a baking stone. (Or Pyrex dish... whatever.)

Cover again with towel and let rise 30-45 minutes.

Bake rolls in 350 degree F oven for 10-13 minutes, depending on desired doneness. Best served – hot from the oven – with butter, honey, jam, or gravy.

Yum! This is our go-to roll recipe, and my cookbook will feature three quick variations that will turn this simple dough into Pesto Rolls, Brown Sugar Cinnamon Rolls, and Bacon Cheddar Rolls with the addition of just a few extra ingredients. But to be sure, these are the best rolls I've ever had. Hands down. Brothers and boyfriends fight over them. Can't beat 'em.

So there you go. Thirteen rolls for your Friday the 13th. Hope you have a wonderful, safe, and homemade-rolls-and-love kind of a weekend. -Brin

19 comments:

S Stargell Designs said...

Wow, those look so good, and since it isn't nearing 100 degrees today, I think I will whip som up for dinner and put a pic on my blog with a link to yours! Can't wait for the book - holding my breath!! Thanks for the daily inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Brin. What a treat!

Wishing you a lovely day,
Cindy

Unknown said...

A girl after my heart!! I'm a bread addict too, can't pass up those fresh baked, finger lickin yeast rolls that those fancy places serve you to get you full before your meal arrives! I'm such a sucker for homemade bread! I'm going to keep this recipe handy for a cooler day, just too warm to have the oven on even with the A/C, but oh my, these look yummy and sound so easy! I can't wait for your cookbook to come out! Have a blessed weekend girl, I know you will!! Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

these look great and you dont let them rise a second time before you bake? gotsta love that!! nothin says lovin like your rolls from the oven i'm sure!! connie

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh,Brin, I just love homemade bread...although I've never made it myself. I dare not copy this recipe as my hubby & I both love bread & it's not the best thing to have around. I do go to the gym so that I can eat my sweets! Homemade yeast rolls are heavenly!

Have a great weekend!

Rhoda

Betty said...

Brin, the rolls look lip-smacking delicious....wish I had one or more right now.....congratulations on your upcoming cookbook.....

Thanks for visiting and commenting...I treasure each one.

Happy weekend....Betty

Anonymous said...

I am a bread lover, and anything else made with yeast and I do have a sweet tooth as well..a double whammy!! No matter.. I will try this recipe, these rolls look devine. Will worry about 'those thighs' later...lol
Waiting for your book...I know it will be amazing!
Blessings

Anonymous said...

Hi Brin,
thanks for stepping over to my blog. I came here for a visit and my senses are being put into overtime. I can almost smell the bread, (one of my weaknesses) and the rest of your blog is like eye candy. My brother and his wife live in Texas. blessings on your old house adventures!

Susan said...

Hi Brin - Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. These rolls sound devine. I am a total bread lover. I'll be back and check out your blog a little more when I have time. I am interested in your old home. Sounds wonderful.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Hello my darling
You simply must check out Farmgirl's latest post....you'll love her!!

www.farmgirlfare.com

Cherry xx

Lallee said...

Excuse me, I'm wafting the yeast aroma and going into cosmic bliss.

Bonnie said...

Fantastic, I especially enjoyed the pictures! I work in a bakery all day long and will never tire of fresh from the oven anything. It is absoluetly painful, it's a good thing bakery-suits have strechy waist bands. Anyhow, your blog is lovely, thanks for sharing!
Bonnie

Chris Kauffman said...

How beautiful is your house, and how you are bringing it back to life, I just adore old house and your sound grand and full of potential, I will check to see how things are going,and you bake too , young modern woman you are.
Peace,
Chris

BellaColle said...

Okay, I'm a gonner! your rolls look awesome!
I hope to get a copy of your book!
yum.

Anonymous said...

Who can resist home made bread.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. Bread is wonderful! Your recipe looks delicious :)

Lacy said...

Yep...put me on the list, too!!!...can't wait for your cookbook!!..thanks for sharing your wonderful home and recipes!!!...Lacy

S Stargell Designs said...

Brin,
I made 2 double batched of these over the weekend, and they are all gone! I wrote all about it over at my blog! Thanks for the recipe - there are 11 relocated Texan's up here in WA state that are very happy - and a little heavier!!

Steph

Brin said...

Hi all,

Thanks for the great comments regarding the yummy rolls! I hope you do both try AND love them!

Steph- I have tried and tried to find your blog but your "once upon a notion" link doesn't work. (Try clicking on it.) Could you type us out the actual address so we can find you? Thanks!