Saturday, February 2, 2008

Happy at Home and Garden

I'm very happy at home.
I love to work in my garden.
I'm not a gaping hole of need.
-Uma Thurman

So everything will be right as rain after all. Which is a relief. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers you kindly sent my way. I've always looked at wishes and prayers like fireflies in a jar: take one and you have a spark... take many and you have a heart warming phenomenon. Anyway, thanks.

It's brilliantly sunny today with a forecasted high near 70 degrees. Magic. I already have sheets billowing on the line beneath the magnolia tree. The roses got planted Tuesday and Thursday. And onion sets will go out today. Shallots too. Yesterday, after more hospital tests, a friend and I went to Horaney's and spent small fortunes on plants, seeds, spades and cast iron. I felt so Laura Ingalls Wilder doing those things... poking around in dusty Horaney's, trying to decide which cream peas will go best with country potatoes and hot cornbread and sweet tea this summer. We also spent several minutes choosing tiny canning jars for fresh strawberry jam. (Might go well with Strawberry Sugar Bread and fresh whipped cream, huh?) It's a charming life, I tell you, this life I'm in. So what if I have the occasional scare? Wouldn't trade a minute of it for the world.

Anyway, guess I'm burning daylight. Just wanted to thank you all and wish each of you a happy weekend. I'm looking forward to next week at Freeman House. Should be a great one. (Did I hear someone calling for toolbelts?)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Brin, I'm so enormously jealous! We're still frozen here!

Today we are going fireplace shopping. Or rather fireplace insert-thingy shopping. We had a house fire recently due to the crumbling mortar in our 80-year-old fireplace. The repairs are ongoing, we're cold, and we're trying to figure out an alternative to wood fires. I would so rather be shopping for onion sets.

Mayberry Magpie
www.mayberrymagpie.com

Jenny said...

Beautiful pics, Brin. The onions look lovely. Can't wait to see how the roses do and Horaney's looks like LOTS of fun.

Toolbelts? Yah. Love the colors in your post.

Soon,
Jenny

Deb said...

Oh I love spring onions! It will be a while yet before any planting gets done here - we had TONS of snow yesterday ... that's the only digging we are doing :-}
Happy to hear that all is well. Horaneys sounds like a fabulous spot!

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! We finally got a break from all our rain but instead of planting, I will be cutting out quilt blocks for a class I am taking tomorrow! Glad to hear you are doing better! BTW, will you be making anymore toolbelts for ESTY? Hope so ... I miss getting one when you had them before. Take care,
~~Mary Jane~~

Betty said...

So glad that all is well, Brin.
I am a tad jealous of your beautiful weather, we still have 'wintery cold' here, there is a plus though...the sun is shining!
looking forward to all you have in store for us.
I sure wouldn't mind trying more of your wonderful recipes..

Anonymous said...

i'm new to your blog, but already you feel like an old friend. great posts, beautiful pics. there really is always so much to be thankful for. thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

i'm new to your blog, but already you feel like an old friend. great posts, beautiful pics. there really is always so much to be thankful for. thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

Brin, those little scares keep us grounded! So happy to hear all is well and your planning a garden, wish I was!! lol

Linda Z said...

Hello, Brin. I am so enjoying your blog. I found it through delightful blogs as a link from lisaleonard.blogspot.com (she makes beautiful, sentimental silver necklaces that would probably be right up your alley.) Anyway, I love learning from you... about the Lord, about hospitality, and creating and decorating. The colors you have chosen for the Freeman House are so warm and comforting. I look forward to reading more. Thanks for sharing your life.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Brin!
I love seeing that you're back to gardening. I, of course, still have MONTHS to wait, up here in snowy Washington. But gardening books, magazines, catalogs and notes scatter the house as my daughters and I plan the snowy days away. I'll definately be motivated as I read your blog.
Glad to hear all is well with you.

Jen (remember me? the one who has two adopted daughters and new(ish) baby boy that you blessed with the beautiful knitted blankie and stuff?)

Anonymous said...

Hi Brin...I've been reading you for a while, but just wanted to come out of the woodwork and let you know how much I enjoy your blog! It gives me a moment of peace.

Ah...such loveliness you are having there right now. We're in the rainy season here, but still loving it all!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Well Brin, I hope you're happy. I now have drool falling from the corners of my mouth, kind of like a mad dog, after reading your blog about all the wonderful foods you have planned for Freeman House :)....honestly I am a tad jealous or your high temperature today as ours is somewhere around 20.

I am so looking forward to your adventures at Freeman House, especially with the new addition coming :).

Have a wonderful day!
Blessings,
Kathi :)

Unknown said...

So glad everything turned out OK! The garden planning sounds lovely..

Annie