Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Tea Service

Love and kindness are never wasted.
They always make a difference.
-Barbara De Angelis

Junior, the mail lady, really hates that Freeman House is on her route. A tremendous amount of mail gets delivered here throughout the week, not to mention the many book and fabric deliveries that somehow end up on my doorstep. (Ahem.)

Yesterday Junior looked particularly vexed. She was balancing a large USPS Priority box on her knee and banging on the door with her elbow. I opened the door, embarrassed, before realizing: "I didn't order this one, Junior! Promise!". Don't think she bought it.

But I really hadn't bought it. I manuevered the large box through the door and into the dining room and sat at the table with my rotary cutter and sliced the box to death. Inside were two smaller boxes and enough packing peanuts to fill one of those bouncy ball arenas at McDonald's. And a card. There was a card inside, too. It read:

Sorry he's broken your heart again. Happy Singles' Awareness Day. -T

Oh how I laughed. And then cried. I'm sure I looked like a raving loon, alternately cackling and bawling while tightly clutching this white teapot... packing peanuts in my hair and everywhere.

Thanks, T, for the tea set. How could you have known I'm planning to do the cottage kitchen in white ironstone? I didn't have a complete white ironstone tea service. Thank you. But beyond the tea set, thank you a hundred times more for your friendship. For all of your friendships. Your love and kindness aren't wasted here.

Thanks for making a difference to me. -Brin

19 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brin said...

I love, love, love your comments! But please, don't use bad words. They will be deleted, no matter how sweetly or innocently the words are intended. Brin

Anonymous said...

What an attractive tea service. I wish I had time to use all the ones I have. You can never have too many tea sets. The design of this one is especially nice.

Unknown said...

The tea set is lovely, just perfect for you and your new cottage kitchen! What a sweet gift! Sounds like you need to bake some cookies for your postal carrier! :)

Sizzle said...

How thoughtful and lovely.

Julie said...

Happy Singles Awareness Day! That's so cute!

Whoever T. is, she/he is very thoughtful and apparently knows your heart and tastes. What a lovely friend! You are truly blessed!

Go and enjoy your tea set -- today is certainly one of those days to enjoy a hot cup of tea! Is the sun shining, yet, in Texas? We're in Louisiana and the storm is still pounding us!

Blessings,
Julie

Anonymous said...

I love it - I just did a google search - there actually is a real singles awareness day - with a history and everything - the 13th, 14th or 15th of February... I think all singles should send each other gifts in "celebration".

Glad you are feeling better after your hard night. I think that it's all part of the grieving process.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

And now I think I must swoon! Oh.how.lovely!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a lovely tea set and even lovelier friend. I'm sorry to hear that your heart has been broken. Sending you comforting thoughts and warm wishes for better days ahead. Now go curl up with a nice warm cup of tea and a wonderful novel and try to forget your worries for an hour or two.

Brambleberry said...

Such a lovely tea set. I'm sure anything poured from that teapot will taste marvelous.

There is something so healing in friendships...thank the Lord!

Blessings to you on this messing thrilling journey.

sister sheri said...

Yeah to T... and to Tea!

Anonymous said...

I've always said small favors are what makes the world go 'round. It's not the grand gestures. It's the little ones that grab your heart and make you know you are blessed.

You are.

Mayberry Magpie
www.mayberrymagpie.com

Vee said...

Such a lovely friend! Your new tea set is lovely, too.

Vee said...

If I had read the comments beforehand, I might well have chosen a different adjective...

~Molly~ said...

Beautiful tea set! And beautiful T for sending it to you.

Molly

Unknown said...

Brin what a lovely tea set! Sounds like you could use a hug, come by my blog and see what I mean! It is really catching on!
Hugs,:)
Robyn

Anonymous said...

Call me when it's time for tea.

Love,
grace

Jenny said...

Wonderful friend! Aren't surprises like that the best!?! Enjoy your tea set and your T/tea.

Hugs,
Jenny in icy VA

Kim said...

Brin, found your site from another blogger. Love the tea set and your blog especially the city girl/country girl change. You go girl!