Thursday, April 10, 2008

Spring Reading (Or, The Sacred Ordinary)

Drove home today and I can't tell you how lush and green and heart-stoppingly gorgeous it is here. My eyes got all watery... from allergies, of course... but still. This scenery could convert the most hardened of city hearts into country-loving fools.

I wanted to get home and immediately run out to the back and read. I couldn't, but I wanted to. An enormous stack of books is waiting for me this spring and I can't wait to slow down and pay them all a little mind.

Guess who went out and wrote another book while we weren't looking? Our girl Leigh McLeroy, author of the much beloved A Beautiful Ache. (I think we talked about A Beautiful Ache back in July, and would you know I am still getting emails about how y'all are blown away by this gem? I know. I was too.) So I sneaked Leigh's latest masterpiece, The Sacred Ordinary, out during a Sonic stop on the way home. Are you as good as your predecessor? I asked it as I cracked open its spine. Forty-five minutes later I realized I was still sitting at Sonic and that, yes, The Sacred Ordinary is every bit as wonderful as I'd hoped. Leigh's done it again. (To read more about the book, visit the website by clicking here.)

So The Sacred Ordinary is at the top of my spring reading list. Matter of fact, I'm going to dive in on Monday, so if you want to find a copy of your own and join me, we can do a few open posts and discuss it. Maybe we'll even invite Leigh to stop by and answer a few of our questions/observations about the book, too.

I'm so glad it's spring. I'm so excited about spring reading time. Looks like I need to get candles back in my outdoor tree lanterns and head out soon for a good long read....

(Updated observation: Alicia posted her spring reading stuff today as well. Looks like we share a common spring read!)

9 comments:

Debe said...

A wonderful book that my daughter and I just love is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It is set in twelfth-century England and the building of the great cathedrals. It is a real departure from his usual but oh is it good. Good, evil, the whole ball of wax. The first few chapters will make you wonder when it will get good and then wham! you get hooked and can't put it down. Big book and he has recently written a sequel. IF you run out of reading material, you might consider this one.

Beverly said...

I am enjoying both The Sacred Ordinary and The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen and think they are delightful. Your blog has been a wonderful resource for reading material and I invested in Apples for Jam and Falling Cloudberries because of your recommendations.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brin,

I am ordering the Sacred Ordinary as we speak, I read Leigh's other book on your recommendation and *loved* it. I can't wait to read this as well!! Thanks as alwasy, Delayne

redeemed diva said...

I will definitely check up on these books...starting with A Beautiful Ache. I adore the lamps! Please take a pic once there are candles in it. Would love to see the contrast!

Anonymous said...

Brin,
I absolutely love reading your site. It is VERY encouraging and I love your recipes. I like the choice in books you have chosen. I thought you might enjoy this website I love if you are looking for some Sacred Ordinary....this woman is just amazing and her writing is so uplifting...maybe you already know about it. If not, enjoy
http://aholyexperience.com/

Rachael J.
Luanda, Angola

Lady Laura said...

I, for one, look forward to your reading recommendations. I read the 13th tale based on your blog entry and LOVED it. I'll be visiting my library's web site to reserve Leigh's books.

Liz Harrell said...

Oh. You will LOVE The Penderwicks. Such a sweet book.

Unknown said...

Oh, if only I had time to read this spring, with a move in May I don't see how, but I'm adding this book to my list for winter reading! Thanks Brin!

MizMac said...

Brin, thanks for recommending "The Sacred Ordinary." I hope you're enjoying it! I'd love to have a "chat" over the book with you - but I have a bone to pick: The Sacred Ordinary has NO calories... unlike your most recent "gift" that I've appropriated: the chocolate chip cast iron skillet cookie. I've made it twice and had to give it away quickly before I hurt myself! Oh my. Oh my. Thanks, friend. Leigh