Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It Must Be (Puppy) Love. Or, Meet Millie

Animals are such agreeable friends.
They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot

And for that - and with this look - she stole my heart.

Everyone, please meet Millicent. Millie, for short. She came home to Freeman House today, all floppy-eared and puppy dog-eyed and chocolate lab/baby lamb gentle. She had two accidents on the way home and cried softly and wouldn't leave my side. I love her already. We're going to be the best of friends.


It's been almost eight months since Mae died. I still miss her every day. I decided I couldn't get a cat just yet. Still not ready. But a dog? Maybe so. It would give me a buddy, after all... someone to run at the State Park with. Someone to ride around with. Someone to be responsible for again. Someone to care when (if) I came home. I think... in fact I'm sure... that God had us in mind for each other all along.

So it's the two of us here now: me and Millie. As if I don't get into enough on my own, now I have a compadre. A partner in crime. Just think of all the messes we'll make together.

Oh, sweet dog. You have no idea how much you'll be loved....

(P.S. As wonderful as this is, it is NOT the big thing I promised earlier. Just so you know.)

21 comments:

Elenka said...

What a beautiful baby!!! Good for you, Brin!
She even 'looks' very, very soft.
I think Millie is going to be photographed quite a bit!

Anonymous said...

she's so sweet. enjoy every moment with her. i can smell her puppy breath now. i love puppies!!

Harbor Hon said...

What a sweet surprise when I logged on. Millie is just the most adorable little dog and I'm sure you and she will be very happy together. I can just see lots of time lying next to each other ... all the whispered secrets. And imagine all the "licks of love" you'll be getting. :) xxoo

Anonymous said...

Lord have mercy, Millie looks so sweet and curious, I almost want to run out and get a puppy. (But since I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old it is best to hold off on that impulse). Anyhoo, I made your skillet cookie and loved it. It was even part of my 4 year old's special birthday week (something simple and special each day to celebrate her life). Thanks for sharing it and the pictures of Millie!

Anonymous said...

Well hello Millie. I can see why she stole your heart -- she is an absolute beauty. Congratulations on your new room-mate. I'm sure the two of you will create some wonderful memories at Freeman house. Lisa

Kathleen Grace said...

Ohhh, she is darling! I love CHocolate labs:>)

Lovella ♥ said...

miss millie is just so cute. Oh my it's a good thing she has such puppy eyes, for she too will love your roses and the garden. I think you should reconsider and send her to a nice farm in canada. (smirk)

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Congrats on your new puppy Brin! What a cutie too!!

Blessings,

Sher

Beverly said...

Look at those eyes! Lucky Miss Millie, living at Freeman House.

Adrienne said...

Miss Millie, you are just precious! Your sweet eyes stole my heart, too. I can't wait to see more pictures of you as you grow. You are going to be loved bunches! Congratulations, Brin. She's wonderful. ~Adrienne~

Linda Z said...

Oh, she's definitely a cutie and a keeper!! :) Oh, what fun!

I just blogged about my pup on Sunday... we've had her for exactly one year now! She has a great story!

Jenny said...

Millie is so stinkin' cute! And what a perfectly charming name she has. We had a choc lab we had to put down last year due to illness. He was 9 and named Moose, such a bundle of fun. I know you guys are going to have such wonderful memories together. The first thing I thought of when I saw her, was you guys out gardening together at Freeman House. Oh, the fun that's ahead of you.

Blessings,
Jenny

Jen Kershner said...

Oh sweetness! I have a Millie too, a golden retriever. She is such a friend to me. If you stop by my blog and do a search for her you will find several pictures. She is also Millicent. I hope you will enjoy many years with your new best friend.

Rebecca said...

Awwww, she is so precious! I know you two will become the very best of friends. Lucky Millie, to be able to live with you at Freeman House. Let the fun begin!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE MILLIE!

grace f

Vee said...

Millicent is a blessed pup to be living at Freeman House with you. It appears that you are off to a great start...she's adorable!

Kristy said...

Oh congrats! She is so cute!! I'm about 90% happy for you, and 10% jealous. :) I can't wait to hear about your adventures together.

Deb said...

Congratulations Brin & Welcome Millie. You will be the best of friends! Nothing like the love of a Lab :-}

Dinah said...

Precious! Just precious!

Whitney said...

She's adorable! She looks so soft and I just want to hug her :)

Anonymous said...

I love your puppy!!

Rosetta