Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Great Pumpkin, A Sorta Spring Story

Sure, April's the wrong time to be talking about Long Island Cheese Pumpkins. Unless you're a gardener, which I think I now officially am.

I found the above pumpkin - centerpiece of 2007's Freeman House Thanksgiving - in a grocery store in Perryton, Texas. I was on my way home for the holidays and spotted the pumpkins in a large cardboard display and decided they were the most magnificent pumpkins I'd ever seen. I've since learned the Long Island Cheese Pumpkin is superb for pies. I mean, superb.

After last year's turkey and pie fest, I couldn't bear to throw the thing in the trash. It was that beautiful. So I set it outside, right on top of the leaves, at the edge of the garden.

And there it sat. Through late fall rains and winter wind and that one snowfall, the pumpkin just sat there. And then a few weeks ago I noticed it was mysteriously GONE, and in its place were dozens of the tiny, healthy pumpkin plants pictured above.


... and the pumpkin's stem - a reminder of one heckuva Thanksgiving and one gorgeous table.

Yesterday I transplanted some of the smallest plants into the garden - right by the basil and down from the potatoes - and gently showered them with water. This weekend, the rest of the seedlings are going into biodegradable peat pots and will be trucked over to a nearby nursery. Turns out other Texas gardeners are interested in these beauties, too, and I'll turn a little pumpkin profit this year.

I'm excited to see how they turn out. Again, I know it's the wrong time to be talking pumpkins, but I'm already dreaming of silky smooth, lightly spiced pies and woolen sweaters and crackling fires and Dallas Cowboy football....

I'm an autumn girl caught in an admittedly beautiful, magical spring. What can I say? Of all the seasons in all the world, fall belongs to me. This spring I'll simply garden and dream....

16 comments:

Mim said...

Brin
Oh yum.. how soon is your first cookbook coming out?
Tell the 'suits' that of all your hits on your site, most I would wager, are anxious to buy your first book!
I'm on the east coast but am not famliar with this pumpkin. Can't wait to look for one this fall.
Happy Gardening.
Mim

Mama Lisa said...

how wonderful that they seeded. that pie looks delicious. make sure you are in control of your book contract. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Brin~

I adore your blog!! I, too, would look forward to purchasing your first book. You have a built-in audience, eager to support you. Would you ever consider self-publishing? I'm not knowledgeable about the industry, but just a thought. . .

Blessings to you~
Cindy

Harbor Hon said...

Brin, you make me wistful and yearning for fall again. What a great story about the pumpkin and lovely pictures to show for it too.
Carolyn xxoo

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Autumn is my favorite time of the year as well, but right now, I'd be happy with winter finally exiting out of our state of Michigan :) That's interesting that your pumpkin just seeded itself without any help. It was a most beautiful pumpkin. . . now. . . you may have another little side-line there too. . . roadside pumpkin stand!

Blessings,

Sher

Lynne said...

They make spectacular soup too! We use an old Julia Child recipe. Scoop out seeds and clean pumpkin; rub with garlic, pour in chicken broth, seasonings, homemade croutons, some cheese, bake. Yes, the soup is baked inside the pumpkin. When tender, scoop flesh carefully from sides. Enjoy!

Cinderella pumpkins are good in the same way too!

Vee said...

Ohhhh, I had such fun reading about the ingredients mix-up yesterday. I thought that corn syrup sounded fantastic...I do love sugar. ;>

Now this story of the pumpkin is truly magical. I loved reading about its sinking right down into the earth and then rising again in new growth.

Are ya skipping right over summer? (Summer is third favorite month, actually. I join you in being a woman of autumn.)

Anonymous said...

I am sooo with you! I am an Autumn girl myself.. Love, love, love me some Autumn. i am eager to see the progree of your pumpkin plant growth too. Take pictures on occasion to keep us posted. Fun, fun. This time of year I always long for a yard. I will live vicariously through you my dear : )

Roxanne

Betty said...

Loved the pumpkin story and pics, Brin..I too am waiting for your pumpkin plant progress..
I am an Autumn gal as well but really love watching all the new sprouts shooting out of the ground in spring so that must be my second favorite season.

Anonymous said...

Fall, dear fall. I dream of fall all through out the year. Then again, I also dream of spring. Of new life. I believe however that I dream of spring because without it Autumn would be but nothing.

redeemed diva said...

Looks good!
hey, I just read a previous post that said you are looking into getting solar panels for Freeman house--what about geothermal heating. it uses the ground to heat and cool your house?

Rebecca said...

Thats so cool about the pumpkin sprouts! I may have to try that next Fall, and see what appears in my garden. Of course with all the critters living in the woods around my house, it will probably get eaten before it has time to decompose and sprout.

I like Autumn too, but I'm such a summer time gal that I'm lovin' spring right now. Ahhh choooo! :)

Jean M said...

There is definitely a serene solemnity and wistfulness to fall that I love. Pretty pumpkin, btw, never heard of that particular kind before.

Kathleen Grace said...

Cool! My hubby brought home the coolest warty sage green pumpkin last fall and we saved the seed to plant this spring. I can't wait. I have been wanting to grow some really unusual pumpkins for a while now. They are one of my favorite things about autumn.

Unknown said...

That is one divine pumpkin! I'll have to remember that name. Isn't it something how nature has a way of making sure it supplies us with all we need and desire. I'm a fall girl too and never too early to think about it!

Linda Z said...

I used to resent the fact that I was born in November. I didn't think that autumn colors were very "girlie" at all. But it grew on me over the years and I have a deep love for it now as well. My house is full of deep, rich, fall colors and my closet has a whole lot of earthtones. It's a great season.