Friday, April 4, 2008

New On My Lap...

... this gorgeous knit and this gorgeous magazine. I discovered both in NYC a few weeks ago on my way home from Istanbul. And they say layovers are horrible.


Apparently I have a thing for a new scarf and hat every fall. This will be mine this year. (Getting a bit of a jump on things, huh?) I'm working it all up in Sublime's cashmere merino silk. sigh It's Shade 0006, which is actually a soft, creamy gray - not blue and stormy as it looks in these pictures.

And don't even get me started on Saveur. If I could make a food magazine, this is exactly what I would go for. The colors are deep and rich. The writing is fantastic. Last month's issue dealt with butter. This month is pasta. I love that simplicity. Of course, there are plenty of other recipes and articles in there, too, but I love the straightforward concept. This magazine is beautiful.

So that's what's on my lap this weekend. Planning on curling up here in the city (after a bit of a big birthday bash tonight) and settling in with friends, books and knitting.

Huh. I could have just said "friends". They're all the same. ...

14 comments:

Rox said...

Hey Brin, Here's hoping that you an absolutely fantastic birthday! And Many, Many More : )
Tomorrow officially starts Spring Break here and I have decided that we will start things off by making Skillet cookies. I happen to have chocolate chips and peanut butter chips on hand! I will let you know how they turn out. Yum. Yum.
Have a great time tonight and be safe....
Rox

Harbor Hon said...

Happy Happy Birthday Brin! Hope you have a really good time. Love the knitting, you're doing a great job. Always fascinated by cables, they just look so lush. xxoo

Anonymous said...

Brin~

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!

Sounds like you have a perfect birthday weekend planned. Enjoy your celebration. And may God bless you with the best year ever!!

Eat a piece of cake for me,
Mickey

Elizabeth said...

How was Istambul?
We live in Morocco and I've always wanted to to visit Turkey.
A lovely blog.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Brin!

Linda Z said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a great weekend!

Lynne said...

How funny Brin. I just downloaded that pattern from Purl Bee yesterday and was going to start it. Yours looks quite a bit different tho, is it because you are using heavier yarn? I would not have recognized it as being the same scarf! Looks pretty tho!

Jen said...

Happy Birthday, Brin!
I'm sure God has many blessings in store for you this year.
I REALLY need to learn to knit!
Have a great weekend.
Jen

Betty said...

I checked out the website for the magazine, looks great! A beautiful design for the scarf..at the speed I knit I sure would need to start a scarf now in time for fall. You, in the meantime will whip up a number of them I'm sure!
I'm thinking that your b'day is next week, right? You're celebrating early so I will say Happy Birthday Brin...have fun!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, wonderful woman!!!! Enjoy! Love from Auntie M and family

Anonymous said...

Brin, Hope you had a Happy Birthday. Your new "lap project" looks very pretty. I love reading your blog. I'm not sure just how I discovered it. I always feel like I have been somewhere, sorta like an escape.You and your big o'le house fixing project reminds me of a favorite movie, Under the Tuscon Sun.Brin, you should write books, you should write a hundred books.You are a very talented girl.Hope all is good with you tonight, and I haven't forgotten to pray for the young couple couple at your church. We just have to always remember that god does nothing in vain.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Brin!! I don't know why, but I was thinking it was in Oct? But I know whatever you do, it will be a blessing. Your my hero, you see things the way they should be seen and you share them, for that, I thank you! I love the scarf pattern, so pretty! And you CAN write a food magazine that would egual those you love! Your life just keeps getting better with each year! Is envy a bad thing? LOL

Betsy said...

Happy Birthday! I hope God gives you many more because you still have so much to give! :) Enjoy your day!

Jeanne said...

I love everything you post and Happy belated Birthday~
I just had mine April 8th.
We are two Aries April celebrates~
Enjoy your beautiful spring.
Love Jeanne