Friday, April 4, 2008

New On My Lap...

... this gorgeous knit and this gorgeous magazine. I discovered both in NYC a few weeks ago on my way home from Istanbul. And they say layovers are horrible.


Apparently I have a thing for a new scarf and hat every fall. This will be mine this year. (Getting a bit of a jump on things, huh?) I'm working it all up in Sublime's cashmere merino silk. sigh It's Shade 0006, which is actually a soft, creamy gray - not blue and stormy as it looks in these pictures.

And don't even get me started on Saveur. If I could make a food magazine, this is exactly what I would go for. The colors are deep and rich. The writing is fantastic. Last month's issue dealt with butter. This month is pasta. I love that simplicity. Of course, there are plenty of other recipes and articles in there, too, but I love the straightforward concept. This magazine is beautiful.

So that's what's on my lap this weekend. Planning on curling up here in the city (after a bit of a big birthday bash tonight) and settling in with friends, books and knitting.

Huh. I could have just said "friends". They're all the same. ...

15 comments:

Rox said...

Hey Brin, Here's hoping that you an absolutely fantastic birthday! And Many, Many More : )
Tomorrow officially starts Spring Break here and I have decided that we will start things off by making Skillet cookies. I happen to have chocolate chips and peanut butter chips on hand! I will let you know how they turn out. Yum. Yum.
Have a great time tonight and be safe....
Rox

sea mystery said...

Happy Happy Birthday Brin! Hope you have a really good time. Love the knitting, you're doing a great job. Always fascinated by cables, they just look so lush. xxoo

Anonymous said...

Brin~

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!

Sounds like you have a perfect birthday weekend planned. Enjoy your celebration. And may God bless you with the best year ever!!

Eat a piece of cake for me,
Mickey

Elizabeth said...

How was Istambul?
We live in Morocco and I've always wanted to to visit Turkey.
A lovely blog.

Debra said...

Happy Birthday, Brin!

Linda Z said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a great weekend!

Lynne said...

How funny Brin. I just downloaded that pattern from Purl Bee yesterday and was going to start it. Yours looks quite a bit different tho, is it because you are using heavier yarn? I would not have recognized it as being the same scarf! Looks pretty tho!

Rosa said...

Happy Birthday!

Jen said...

Happy Birthday, Brin!
I'm sure God has many blessings in store for you this year.
I REALLY need to learn to knit!
Have a great weekend.
Jen

betty r said...

I checked out the website for the magazine, looks great! A beautiful design for the scarf..at the speed I knit I sure would need to start a scarf now in time for fall. You, in the meantime will whip up a number of them I'm sure!
I'm thinking that your b'day is next week, right? You're celebrating early so I will say Happy Birthday Brin...have fun!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, wonderful woman!!!! Enjoy! Love from Auntie M and family

Shanda said...

Brin, Hope you had a Happy Birthday. Your new "lap project" looks very pretty. I love reading your blog. I'm not sure just how I discovered it. I always feel like I have been somewhere, sorta like an escape.You and your big o'le house fixing project reminds me of a favorite movie, Under the Tuscon Sun.Brin, you should write books, you should write a hundred books.You are a very talented girl.Hope all is good with you tonight, and I haven't forgotten to pray for the young couple couple at your church. We just have to always remember that god does nothing in vain.

Sue Neitzel said...

Happy Birthday Brin!! I don't know why, but I was thinking it was in Oct? But I know whatever you do, it will be a blessing. Your my hero, you see things the way they should be seen and you share them, for that, I thank you! I love the scarf pattern, so pretty! And you CAN write a food magazine that would egual those you love! Your life just keeps getting better with each year! Is envy a bad thing? LOL

Betsy said...

Happy Birthday! I hope God gives you many more because you still have so much to give! :) Enjoy your day!

Jeanne said...

I love everything you post and Happy belated Birthday~
I just had mine April 8th.
We are two Aries April celebrates~
Enjoy your beautiful spring.
Love Jeanne