Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Blue Like Summer

If we were young girls again with lazy, idle summer hours to pass, this is the apron we would make. Sky blue checks - blue like a brilliant summer afternoon - with delicate white wildflowers with cherry red centers. We'd make our apron with three wide pockets for hiding a Jane Austen novel and a love letter. Maybe some bluebonnet seeds, too, and a ribbon to tie back our hair. And we'd take the time to embellish our apron with a red blanket stitch because really, on afternoons like this, time taunts and stretches out before us as if it's taking a nap and forgetting to pass. Later, when Mom asks what we did all day, we can show her our tiny red stitches on our apron and get a quick, tight nod of approval.


That's the funny thing with making aprons. I end up inventing a story for each one. They ship out with a life of their own, even if it only played out in my thoughts for the few minutes I sit on the porch and stitch the pocket trim. Seems every apron I make I promise to keep for myself. I can't, of course. One glance at the aprons hanging by the kitchen door makes that clear. Besides, it's better to make than take, right?

I'll be posting handfuls of apron toolbelts on the Freeman House Shop on Etsy tomorrow (Wednesday) at noon CST. I'm letting you all know up front because someone told me it's unfair to sneak listings as they're finished and let one right time/right place person grab all the loot. So consider yourself advised: apron toolbelts go on sale tomorrow at noon. Be there or wish you were.

Smile

The garden is keeping me busy. On top of everything else keeping me busy. I added a row of peas yesterday (they're selling for $30 a bushel down here!) and some okra. I'm now keeping watch over 12 vegetable, 19 herb and numerous flower patches. The bad news is I have to weed it all. The good news is if there's another Great Depression and all the world is hungry, I can help. Everyone show up at Freeman House and we'll gorge on fresh tomatoes and basil... fried squash and canned relish... buttered potatoes and green beans... bacon-boiled peas and spring onions... fried okra and hot-water cornbread... pecan pie and home-churned ice cream.

There's something else really big in the works this week, too. I'm expecting a shipment today and an email tomorrow, then hopefully it's game on. Sleep's being lost over this exciting venture. It's fulfillment of a five year long dream. I can't wait to show you. It's big.

Other than that? Normal stuff. I finished The Sacred Ordinary late last night. Have you gotten a copy? Do. Then I read the first chapter of Blue Like Jazz. And now I'm in love....

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yeaaa! I can't wait to see the aprons. I love your apron story. I have a few aprons, that were sown by my grandmother and great grandmother. My dad let me have them after my mom died. I like to think about what is must have been like, what was happening, what they thought about and talked about as they made their aprons.

Can't wait to hear your big news!

Anonymous said...

OH... Goodie!!! I will be sitting next to the computer just waiting...

Can't wait to hear the ExCiTiNg NeWs. You are very BLeSSeD here in this LiFe. To be as TaLenTeD as you are, GiViNg & LoViNg, who could ask for more. You are MY inspiration, you have no idea how you get me going during the day. At the shoppe, if I am not motivated... I stroll on over to visit with you & then I am pumped for the rest of the day. LOL... I need to be paying you... Hee Hee

Have a BLeSSfuL TuEsDay, Pamela

Vee said...

"Blue Like Jazz" and "Searching for God Knows What" are two of my favorite books, though I take them with a grain of salt. ;D

Love the apron! Customers had better hurry to get a toolbelt...they're that good and cool.

Enjoy the garden...sounds labor intensive and I certainly hope that you can help with or most definitely WITHOUT a depression!

Lulu said...

I adore aprons, so I'm anxiously looking forward to seeing yours.

Blue Like Jazz is one of my more interesting reads over the past year. Vee mentioned the grain of salt. I think it's a fish book, the kind that requires you to digest the meat but spit out the bones.

Dinah said...

The apron is so very pretty. I can't wait to see the others, and to hear your good news!

Jenny said...

Lovely apron! Perfecly girly. May I ask how you make your flowers? Is there a specific pattern to buy? My daughter (almost 8) would love a headband made with one.

Unknown said...

I love the way you create a story for each apron, they do come to life like that, don't they! I can't wait to hear the big news, your life is so exciting! If I lived closer, you bet I"d be there with bells on for that Freeman House feast!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Blue like summer, sounds like a title for something, a beautiful title :), the apron is so beautiful! I am so excited to hear of your good news! God's blessings upon you Brin!

cathleen said...

Brin, see this post? It's post like this one that make me really miss you. In the past you posted almost every single day. It seems we took you for granted. We didn't realize how lucky we were to have a true kindred spirit speaking directly to us. You are such a wonderful writer with a rich imagination and I am hoping there truly is a book in the works for you. You can make a person smile, cry, laugh out loud, get frustrated or get angry right along with you and that's a gift, a real bonafide God given gift! I wish you the very best things in this life, Brin. I could pull up post, after post, after post. My thoughts would be the same. You bring calm, peace and total serenity into each thought you put on paper. You do not have one single boring bone in your whole body. Well, enough...just wanted to tell you what was in my heart. May God truly bless your beautiful and lovely soul. And thank you for sharing that soul with me, us and everyone! Cathleen