Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Warm and Wonderful Wishes

Hot Drinks for Cold Nights? Sound perfect, thanks. Especially since, this very hour, it's *snowing*. Really. I'm about to settle down in the gathering room's chaise lounge for an evening of B&B talking and snow watching. Heap on more wood -The wind is chill; but let it whistle as it will, we'll keep our [holidays] merry still!

Actually, I'm a flurry of activity tonight, trying to pack and load the car and get ready for a long, long drive back to east Texas for the holiday. I'm dreading the 12 hour haul but am eager to lay eyes on family I haven't seen since this time last year. Like my little cousin John Mark, who prefers mice cat toys from PetSmart over real toys from Toys 'R' Us. And my uncle Mark, who makes the best coffee and always steps on my feet with his enormous boots. And my Grandmother, Nina Faye. Her homemade Macaroni and Cheese all but makes up for the fact that she keeps her house so stinking stuffy we can scarcely breathe.

Of course, for every face I see and neck I hug, there will be several I'll be missing. Like Sara's, my dearest childhood friend who just shipped me this book from far-flung Asia. She thought it would be a great addition to my ever-expanding, delightful cookbook collection. And Sara, you were right. Really right. (More right than that time we played When the Midnight Choo-Choo Leaves From Alabam'. More right than that time you told Misha Duke to fire me from the daycare because I was immature. :p) This book is cozy and creative between covers, is what it is. There's a recipe in Some Like It Hot for Gingerbread Men. And Hot Buttered Rum. And Mistletoe Mist (with sugared cranberries). And Sugarplum Punch. And Pumpkin Potion. And S'more Meltaways. (All hot, beautiful drinks, every one.) I adore this book, and it will be my winter drink concoction go-to until it's time to put away the sweaters and the electric blankets once again. Thank you, dear friend!

(By the way, you can click on the book titles within this post to buy copies of these heart and house and throat warming books -for less than $5!- from Amazon.)

Wow! Can you believe the holidays are here? I leave you, reluctantly, with a shot of Some Like It Hot's Cookies 'n' Cream, the drink we've made to sip alongside the fire tonight. Well, that, and wishes for a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving, wherever it may find you and yours tonight.

Happy, happy holidays! All my love, Brin

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm..those drinks sound so yummy, hope you get to try them all.
Can't wait to have you back at Freeman House...drive safely, Brin!

Brambleberry said...

Those drinks *do* sound yummy! I'm suddenly very parched.

Travel safely!

a woman who is said...

What no recipe?

Unknown said...

Brin! Happy Thanksgiving to you to girly! Have a fun and make lots of memories!

Anonymous said...

Have a safe and happy trip. Take lots of pictures - some for us!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Friends, new drinks and snow, it doesn't get much better than that :).

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Brin, hug lots of necks!

Praying for God's hands to be upon you as you make the long journey back to Freeman House.

Vee said...

And a wonderful Thanksgiving to you! The book looks very tempting.

Deb said...

Happy Thanksgiving Brin.

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving sweet Brin!! Those drinks and that book are must haves, going on my Christmas list! lol Have a safe drive home, so glad you will be returning to Freeman House soon! Hugs!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Brin, I hope this Thanksgiving finds you well & happy with your family and friends. Ahhh, a fire & chocolate drink, that sounds heavenly. Enjoy!

xo,
Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,
I'm so sorry for the way I treated you that summer. I'm sorry for not being able to see past my own needs and wants. I'm sorry for not listening to you and not noticing your world. And most of all, I'm sorry for the rift that occurred after that summer for such a long time. I'm very thankful that it didn't conquer our friendship forever, though, and that I feel closer to you now than before all of that. :) But it makes me wonder: will I always look back at the last season of my life and just see selfishess?? I hope not.

I love you more than I can express, and I hope your T-day is full of comfort, hope, security, love, affection, and lots of incredible food! :) I miss you terribly and look forward to being able to hug your neck and sit and soak up your time in a couple of years! :)

love you, love you, love you!
Sara

Terri Steffes said...

Happy thanksgiving and prayers for a safe trip!

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy Thanksgiving Brin! Hope you had a safe trip home.
God bless!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Brin, God's richest blessings to you and yours. Happy Thanksgiving. Glad you're heading back to Freeman House. As Dorothy said, "There is no place like home!"

Blessings,

Sher