Thursday, November 13, 2008

Kitchen Duty


There's a lot of work going on in the kitchen. On Friday a wall that used to enclose the old brick chimney was disassembled. Over a hundred years of dust and dirt swirled around us as cedar walls fell to pine floors, and for a few days it seemed that no amount of sweeping would ever get rid of the dust.

But it did. I cleaned and cleaned and made a pie and suddenly everything felt a bit brighter.

There's even a cabinet standing in for the pantry now until another can be built. It stands tall beside the 1890s chimney that used to help heat both the kitchen and the dining room. The tower of bricks leans to the left and its mortar is crumbling. I think it's charming. Especially the top, which you can't see in the picture here.

I have to leave the kitchen tomorrow for a conference, having sewn and ironed up another batch of Apron Toolbelts for the Freeman House Shop....

Wishing you a cozy Friday and weekend. -Brin
(Update: Aprons are gone as of Thursday night. Thank you! More to come...)

16 comments:

Lulu said...

i just wanted to say i enjoy your blog.

Terri Steffes said...

Love the photos. I can feel the charm seeping out. Here I go again to the aprons!

Vee said...

Wonderful to find you going forward with your plans. Nothing quite as nasty as ripping out old plastered walls.

Charming photos...love the old Kelvinator with the pie sitting there cooling. Ahhh...very inviting, Brin.

Amy said...

Love that stove!

scb said...

Brin~ I just wanted to tell you how much I love seeing the photos of your home. They are so comforting and lovely to look at!

Harbor Hon said...

A kitchenator stove? Oh my goodness! I have never seen one that is still in good use. You are so lucky! Thanks for giving this old heart a lift. xxoo

Harbor Hon said...

You know I meant kelvinator, don't you? Why did my hands type kitchenator? Mind running to fast, I guess. xxoo

Anonymous said...

I imagine your kitchen as being unbelievably charming. I really want more pictures.

Just A Girl said...

Hi Brin,
I'll make a stop this weekend at the pastry shop to check on those chocolate bars. Will report back soon. Oh...I am lusting over your oven :).
Cori G.

Shaun and Holly said...

I JUST ordered one of your Calendars!!!! I am so excited! It's my 1st Etsy purchase!!!
Holly

Rosa said...

I love your stove and your temporary pantry is pretty as well.:)

The Quintessential Magpie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oops! I had typos in that comment and had to delete. Sorry. Let's try it again...

I love that stove, Brin! It reminds me of the one in my hubby's grandmother's house. It had so much fancy chrome on it that we used to say it looked like one of the old cadillac hoods.

As to the brick being old, well that's what gives a house character! That's what we've always believed. :-)

Happy Friday,

Sheila

Amy said...

MMMMMMMMMM..... I just want to curl up in that kitchen and drink it in! When will you be making yummy cookies in there!? {grin} This is a kitchen like I remember my great grandma having as a very young child! Oh, wow - this is amazing!!

Do you have a post where we can take a tour of your lovely home!? You've done so much work to it, when can we take the "virtual" tour!?

Unknown said...

I love your stove and pantry too! And I wanna see more of the kitchen, the heart of the home!

Sherry said...

Love your stove! My mama raised us with a Maytag cookstove with a Dutch oven...when that thing got hot...it stayed hot...that is until the insulation got to old to maintain the heat. She sold it and replaced it with a new one. I kept telling her (okay, I know that I'm not supposed to 'tell' Mama anything) that she could have it refurbished. Now she wishes she had - even though she doesn't cook any more. ;o)

My sister-in-law's house (now that she's my SIL, it is also my brother's house) didn't have a pantry door. Whenever the previous owners moved out, they took it with them - go figure. I tried to talk her into a screen door to cover it. She liked the idea of it...but never has. I've got to show her yours!