Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Room of My Mind, Knitting, and an Explanation

She has gone inside the room of her mind
and is sitting there knitting or something.
-Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife
 
 
I have been in the room of my mind and knitting lately. So much. It soothes my mind to see fat, untidy balls of yarn unravel themselves into thick, swollen-stitch cowls. Every day it seems I get bits of words from women who say they wish they could knit. I always say the same thing to them: don't be wishing the same thing next year. Learn now. You won't believe the beauty knitting adds to your world.

It's staggering the work that has gone on here in the past week. The master bedroom is painted and we begin restoring the wood floors tomorrow. (Pictures coming!) The ground at the ginormous south side of the house- the tangled, gnarling mess of weeds and spent bushes and thorny vines and neglected roses- is clear. (Cue the band, because once that spectacular mess is put right, I want a parade.) The built-in shelves in the front room are replaced and repainted. The ancient wooden screen door into the sun room has been re-screened. Finally, finally, I look up from my knitting and see progress. I can't believe the beauty hard work is adding to my world.


The other day, I crossed paths with a local blog reader who is exasperated by the lack of photos of the house. Y'all, she gave me an earful. (So if you've been lamenting the same thing, know your voice was heard. Loudly and with gesturing.) I realized, upon answering her, that I haven't explained to you the reason for the lack of photos: my camera died. Agggh! No camera. What few pictures I'm snapping are taken with my phone. I have vowed to roll my Etsy shop earnings into a camera fund, and I hope to find a deal and replace it soon. Until then, if you can put up with phone pictures, we'll forge ahead. I can't believe the beauty a decent camera adds to this blog space....

This morning I'm working on a business idea and doing laundry and making pumpkin bread. And knitting fall things. Can you believe fall is almost here? Fall. Just saying the word makes my soul quiet down and breathe. Fall. Even doing laundry is better in the fall. It's hard to state the beauty fall adds to our lives.

Let's do camera photos tomorrow, shall we? See you then. -Brin 

-     -     -     -     -     -     -     -
BY THE WAY, knitters. Have you seen Brooklyn Tweed's Fall 2015 Lookbook? You must. You just must.

5 comments:

Lulu said...

love fall and winter..
glad to see some knitting...
iam working on hats and baby blankies..

Terri Steffes said...

I love the idea of knitting but I am not very good at follow through. I'm afraid I'll get bored. So, I'll just support your Etsy shop, ok? Have a great week!

Lynne said...

I love knitting. It grounds me. I am working no a picky shawl with sleeves. Tiny yarn, tiny stitches.
Looks like a hat your are knitting in the pic?

Lynne said...

Dang! Your site leaves me no way to fix my faux pas. That would be working on not no.
AND... you're knitting; not your are.
Sigh.
:)

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to learn how to knit - suppose I have to get myself in gear and just go get some supplies and look up some videos on beginning knitting!
My husband is probably going to laugh himself silly, and I will make him wear my first misshapen scarf.