Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Finishings and Startings


We closed on the house. It seemed surreal. There were seven of us around that conference table- talking frantically, shuffling papers back and forth, and checking and double checking lines before we signed. Someone had placed a bowl of Godiva strawberry chocolate squares in the middle of the table before our meeting and there wasn't a single one left when we all stood up. 

Instead of exchanging keys at the end, we exchanged phone numbers. And finally, we got a chance to talk to the seller without the pretense of being yard sale shoppers. In fact, we walked through the house with her and listened to her stories. She explained the attic's two wooden floors, saying that the home had been a two story and, just like Freeman House, had been converted to a one story years ago. She showed me a pipe that needs to be fixed. She unboxed the dining room's original crystal chandelier that someone had taken down long ago. I left so, so eager to move in and tackle all the things she couldn't. It's my house now, after all.

Until then, I'm being an incredible organizer. I am examining every item we own. I'm selling and donating some things. I'm re-framing and re-upholstering and re-staining other things. Today I'm washing every blanket, comforter, and sheet I have and boxing them all. Then, and only then, will I attempt to organize and pack my yarn stash. Omgosh. The yarn stash. 

Good thing there's a wooden floored attic at the new house.


Speaking of yarn, I finished the pillow I was working on a few weeks back. A quick seed stitch and it was done. I couldn't get a good picture with all the dark/stormy weather we've been having- and it looks rather ridiculous here- but you get the idea. I ended up giving it to my Mom on Sunday. She got new furniture and it seemed to fit her house.

So I'm here, washing, packing, selling, and dreaming. We're just two weeks away from the insanity of a new restoration. This week, I'll let you in on the name and the history of the house. I'll show you a few shots inside. Meet me back here?

Let the fun begin! -Brin

15 comments:

Susan said...

I sure will meet you back here !!
it's a date. So exciting Brin

Sherry said...

.e.x.c.i.t.e.d. for you and your hubby and fur-babies!!!!!!!!!!

Dani said...

Dear Brin, I`m so excited for you and can`t wait to see pictures from your house and the renovation.
Hoped so much for a good end for your house wish.
xoxo from Switzerland
Dani

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Congrats Brin! I've been waiting to read the post that the closing happened and the house was now yours! Hurray!

I can feel your excitement. Have fun and I'm looking forward to hearing all about and seeing pics of this sweet home of yours.

FlowerLady

debbie said...

I can't wait

Heidi said...

I am so happy for you! Can't wait to see the inside.

LindaSonia said...

So very pleased for you. Can't wait to see the things you do!

p.s. the pillow is gorgeous - lovely gift for your Mom!

Cindy Brick said...

Brin, what IS that gorgeous yarn?!?

You have been such a comfort to me today. I needed to hear about houses and yards and planting...have had some personal attacks in the past few days that I had to handle with dignity and professionalism. It's been difficult, and I haven't been sleeping well. Then to see Millie, and read the Psalm -- it helped.
Thank you.

Quilting Grannie said...

Brin, we just sold our house of 30 years and moved to be near our daughter. We sold a 3000+ sq ft house, buying one at 2100 sq ft. We gave away, sold, threw away 1/3 of our possessions. We still don't have all our books unpacked. We have a garage full of empty boxes and packing paper. One day we will get it all under control. And we are 75+ years old!

Adrienne said...

I'm SO happy for you! I can't wait to see your new home and all the things you have planned for it.
~Adrienne~

Unknown said...

I can not wait to hear the history of your new home and peek inside!!!

Terri Steffes said...

I am on pins and needles. So glad you got to talk to the owners and that she was so willing to share! I am excited to see what you have and hear your plans for it!

Lulu said...

congrats...loooove the pillow..

Kristie @ Comfy Cozy said...

I'll be running to my computer to check on your updates...just like old times!

Betty said...

And fun it will be..at least for us:)