Friday, September 21, 2007

Fall Fancy, Part Two

The Earth has rolled around again
and harvest time is here,
The glory of the seasons
And the crown of all the year.
-Carolyn Wells

Turns out the first day of fall this year is Sunday. September 23rd. Oddly enough, it's always an exciting day for me, as if the calendar has just written me a permission slip to drag out my sweaters and make pumpkin lattes and stitch quilts in earnest. I love fall. I love everything about it.

Sometime during the week, although I'm really not sure how, I managed to whip up one of those ever popular Yo-Yo Garlands that are sweeping the countryside boutiques and craft blogs. It was so much fun. I did this one in purples and oranges and sage-y greens and got it posted on the Freeman House Etsy site this morning. I have one of these handmade garlands draped across my bed. It's adorable... so simple and old fashioned and whimsical. Too fun.

Remember several weeks back when I asked y'all what outdoor feature you'd prefer: a water feature, a croquet lawn, a brick fire pit, or an outdoor theatre? The vote was tied - even steven - between a water feature and a brick fire pit. How cool. I have a guy coming 'round tomorrow to help me with the brick fire pit. Can't wait. I'm going to whip up some of Susan Branch's homemade marshmallows (I like them with Amaretto and with peppermint mixed in), and set out platters of chocolate and cinnamon graham crackers. Yum. S'mores over an open fall flame. Sounds like a good Friday night, doesn't it?

Speaking of Susan Branch, have you ever gotten your hands on a copy of her Autumn from the Heart of the Home? If you haven't, you must. Seriously. You must. This time of year this little book follows me everywhere as I constantly refer to its recipes, ideas and pictures. It's happiness between covers is what it is. It's one of the reasons I adore fall as much as I do.

By the way, Country Living has a fabulous spread (October issue) on Susan's Autumn book. You'll want to see it. The Potatoes Anna is worth the price of the magazine alone.

Hmm. Okay. Need to be off. (Shelley, I'm headed your way.) Hope you have a wonderful fall inaugural weekend. Breathe deeply and make something yummy to drink and get some good sleep.

See you Monday! -Brin

8 comments:

sister sheri said...

Oh, Brin! I LOOOOVE my little pink daisy clutch that I bought from you on etsy. I loved the Freeman house card (especially the hydrangea) & wrapping. It brings beauty to my heart and home.

I haven't read all of your blog, so I don't know all of your background, but your note to CS really touched me. I want you to know that I've been praying for you... it seems strange that I don't know you, but I could feel the pain. I pray God will continue to use blogging (and the nice strangers you meet there) to be a healing balm.

Anonymous said...

Anything pumpkin rules in my house in Autumn! Decorations, breads, pies, etc. I love everything about this season too.
It's great that you share your decorating ideas as well as some recipes...I have enjoyed all of it...thanks Brin you are such a blessing in my life.
I have made marshmallows from scratch and it is well worth the effort. Never tried anything fancy with it though...you gave me some new ideas! Thanx
Hope your party was fun! Bet you had a great time.

Unknown said...

That book looks yummy, I'll have to look for it! I love anything fall-ish too, and Sunday will be like a holiday here, just hope the weather agrees too! Have a blessed weekend!

Lallee said...

I imagine you making many pleasurable moments around your new fire pit. The SB smores sound yummy.

BellaColle said...

Homemade marshmallows?!! how cool is that! I have actually been looking for a recipe!
We have a fire pit too..love it, but I bet it won't be near as pretty as yours!!
I must admit...I voted for the outdoor theater!

Terri Steffes said...

Mmmmm love the idea of ushering in fall in a special way.

I love my candy corn corsage. My secretary fell in love with it so I left it on her desk for her to get on Monday. Do you do things like that too, give away things you love to make someone else happy?

Gonna have to try homemade marshmallows. yummy!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, winsome writing. This blog is restful and inspiring.

Brigitta said...

like you, I totally LOVE autumn, the crisp smell, the beautiful colours, the warmth at home of candles and blankets. Today it's a beautiful day over here in the Netherlands, temp is up and the sun is shining brightly, so of for a walk later on today!!