Friday, April 6, 2012

An Update, As It Were

These last few months have been strange and exhilarating. I don't know another way of saying it.

About two years ago, a casual meeting happened between myself and a man named Walt Meyer. We spent about 20 minutes talking, during which I expressed some frustration at not knowing what God had for my life. He nodded, kindly, and then said: If you knew, you would walk away. 

I love how God reads our thoughts like we read a newspaper and knows our hearts like we know our own home.

If God had made plain, two years ago, what I would be doing now, I would have walked away. Undoubtedly. I tend to do this panic thing when I get far out of my comfort zone and skill set. So God did this ingenious thing where He held His cards close, only revealing one when it was ready to be played.

I am, now, the director of a small but fierce House of Prayer in the town where I grew up. Coming home to the place I was so grateful to have left: that was humbling. God threw that card down on the table in October, and since then a small group of us have been praying, singing and playing, and making new friends among the lonely, the struggling, and the forgotten. It's been amazing and agonizing all at once. And on Saturdays we're setting up under a bridge nearby and feeding our homeless friends, sharing in their lives, and telling them about how much God loves the broken, the down-and-out, and those who feel lost.

So I guess you could say I'm trying to be about my Father's business, kinda like Jesus was. Only my efforts are weak. Laughable, really. I constantly have to remind myself that while this isn't the life I would have chosen, it's the life to which I've been called. And do you have any idea how settling and fulfilling that has been?

Besides that, when I have time, I have perfected my cookie baking skills. (Recipes to come, definitely.) I'm still knitting like a grandma in a yarn factory. (Have you seen Jared Flood's new stuff? Gaw!) I've almost finished piecing a new quilt. I have tons of new books I have to tell you about. I'm growing new flowers and my garden this year looks promising. (Have you heard of this Strawberry Popcorn everyone's talking about this year? Mine's getting on a foot tall already!) My cabin plans are finalized. And I have to tell you about my animal adventures. There's so much catching up to do!


My birthday falls on Easter Sunday this year, so I have a scary busy weekend ahead. I'll catch you on the other side! Until then, Happy Easter. Have a blessed Passover. And please know that I am so, so glad we're here together again.  <3  -Brin

20 comments:

KristyWes said...

About a week ago I had the thought, "I miss that blog I used to read" and then you went and popped back up in my blog feed. Well played :)

(And happy early birthday!)

The Blogless Sister said...

I'm glad you're back! How is Millie?

Debi said...

So nice to have you back! Happy early birthday... hope you have a wonderful day.

Sissy said...

I'm so glad all is well and that you are ready to come back and share your life with us! Happy Easter and Happy Birthday!

Seawashed said...

I know all about what your life is like now that you've shared you are director of a House of Prayer. I am so happy for you! I lived in KC in 1999-2000 helping plant the IHOP. I was part of the first night watch team. It was an incredible time. I had four little children that came with me daily(but stayed home with Daddy to sleep while I did the nightwatch. We were dwelling in His house. Now I am back 'home' in California...I have become Catholic and am living a contemplative lifestyle. Reading all about the prayer life of monks like Thomas Merton have taken me deeper in Christ's love. I too am where I am supposed to be and there is peace that surpasses all understanding in that...isn't there?

wanderingbtrfly said...

Welcome back, Brin! Happy Birthday!

Diane said...

So glad to see you are back!

Jenny said...

This post was such a joy to read! How wonderful to see how God is leading you! You are an encouragement to me! Thanks!

Sharon said...

So glad your back. Looking forward to hearing more of your story that you write so well. Real life stories. Love it! You are such a gifted writer and it is a delight to read your blog.

Amy said...

So glad to see you post again. I'm looking forward to all the news on your end.

Happy Easter, and Happy Birthday!

Linda Z said...

What an amazing new ministry... I look forward to hearing much more about it.

Happy Birthday. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're back! Can't wait to hear more :) xx

Oh, and happy birthday! xxx

Myrtle said...

So glad you have begun to blog again. I love to read your posts. God bless.

Lisa said...

I'm so happy you are back! You've been missed- I got so much inspiration from you. Looking forward to hear more about what is going on in your life.
Happy Birthday and Happy Easter!

Liz said...

Really glad to see you writing again! Your absence inspired me to start my own blog too - come and visit me sometime, I hope you'll like what you find.
inklings and afterthoughts

sister sheri said...

Happy Birthday, Brin!

Kacie said...

Oh! And happy birthday!!

Unknown said...

You made my day, week, year by coming back!! You don't know how much you were missed!!! You inspire!!! Can't wait to hear about your gardens, cabin and cooking!! And how is Miss Millie?? HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO but we got the gift! :)

Adrienne said...

I love the way God calls us to do what seems impossible - and then He gives us exactly what we need to follow His plan! I love the way He led you to your 'new' ministry. Can't wait to hear more. I'm just tickled 'pink' that you are back and I'll be back to hear more of your plans. Waiting to see that cabin become reality!
~Adrienne~

Mrs. Buzz said...

What a blessing to see that you are back, Brin! I have missed reading your blog and I am looking forward to hearing about all that the Lord has been teaching you and all about your recent creative endeavors. Hope your birthday was fabulous!