Friday, April 20, 2012

Soothing Oatmeal

It's raining today, the kind of rain that trickles. I keep checking out the window to make sure it hasn't changed its mind and blown away, realizing this is Texas and ooops, this is historic drought country and what am I doing here? But no, still here. 

It feels like a baking day. A day to run the vacuum and then put on mellow music and flip through recipe cards. Maybe I'll make oatmeal cookies. There's something soothing about oatmeal, isn't there? They're my favorite. But heavy on the brown sugar and vanilla and definitely no raisins. (Shudder) Yes, I think those are going in the oven soon.

Things have been strange around here the past few weeks, as if my world has spun off its axis. Routines disrupted. Usual meals forgone. The ever-silent TV always on.  Strangers in and out. Last night I came home to new faces in my house. They were great, and I expect them back again. But giving up my privacy is proving difficult for me. It gets under my skin into bone. I feel uptight. Earlier I read my devotional from my usual Jesus Calling, and was reminded- as ever- that my stability is not circumstances... the rhythm of my home... days going as I expect... it's in my relationship with Him. 

That makes me breathe easy. It makes me calm. It makes me get up from the computer, turn on the oven, and make cookies for strangers. 

Oatmeal ones, without raisins.

11 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Awwwww.....home,rain and oatmeal cookies!

MamaBirdEmma said...

I know how you are feeling. We recently moved into a parsonage after living on our own for our whole marriage, and the church and fellowship area are attached to the house. I am someone who really needs to be by myself (with my little gaggle of children) most of the time... it has been hard to adjust!

Praying for you as you do this wonderful work!

Unknown said...

Bless your heart!! That would be tough but oatmeal cookies sound like a good remedy! Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Bless your heart!! That would be tough but oatmeal cookies sound like a good remedy! Enjoy!

Hannah Joy said...

You can do it! Keep going :)

Anonymous said...

Brin, always remember what a blessed gift you are to these strangers...I knew we were like minded~ no raisins for me either! but nuts are good.
Lisa

Rebecca said...

Hi Brin...its so good to see you again. You've been missed.
Its been cool and rainy in Georgia too. Your oatmeal cookies sound perfect for a cool, rainy day.

KathyB. said...

Rainy days, baking oatmeal cookies, Jesus softly calling in the background. Perspective .All blessings, all needful - mostly Jesus, really, all Jesus is best.However , oatmeal cookies warm up my tummy and make my husband pretty happy too.Oatmeal cookies, and reading the Word, amazing.

shoegirl said...

We're having the same kind of day in Louisiana. Perfect for settling in at my local coffee shop with an iced coffee and a new book (Grace for the Good Girl by Emily P. Freeman). A good day for counting blessings and casting worries aside for a bit. And I'm jealous of your oatmeal cookies :-)

Kristie @ Comfy Cozy said...

"Stability is my relationship with Him". Thanks for that reminder!

Oatmeal cookies sound wonderful (but I like raisins). It's raining here today too. I've baked two peach pies (thanks to a freezer of summer bounty) and am enjoying family and home.

Sandy said...

Jesus Calling is taking me through a very rough patch, I love how it brings me back to what is important. My Savior! Trusting in Him alone...not self.

Cooked raisins are not nice. :-)