Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Desk


Bet I get five emails each week in which someone will invariably ask to see a picture of my desk. Or office. Or sewing room. Where do you work? I want to see where you write! Post pictures of where you sew! So... well, here. It's not much, but this is my desk.

It may look as if I have no idea what's going on here, but miraculously, I do. I have notepads for notes, yarn I'm dreaming up projects for, blooming bulbs with shoots of green (good for the soul, eh?), an iPod Shuffle, newly loaded with Bart Millard and Misty Edwards' I Will Waste My Life. And in the thrifted 25 cent, yellow rose pot, a fistful of stamps and puppy treats. (Logically.)

And don't forget the books, which I flip through/refer to/ am currently devouring: Where Jesus Walked, Emily Dickinson's Gardens, The Herb Bible, Falling Cloudberries, The Gentle Art of Domesticity, The Business of Bliss, This Life She's Chosen, and Conspiracy of Kindness. They sit underneath this...

...pictures I've taken, old pictures taken of me, and pictures I love. It's all set above a rusty tin ceiling tile in which my favorite poem is framed: This World is not Conclusion.

Also crowding my work space? The usual suspects: green highlighters, stump-grinding bills, Mexican restaurant receipts, embroidery patterns, a cordless drill, fish emulsion and a traveler's guide to Istanbul. You know, the things we all have to work around.

Wow. Really need to clean off this desk before someone sees it. But first a little brown dog needs to go outside and play. She's pulling on my shoestrings, then sitting up to rest her head on my knees. Her eyes say: Is it time yet? Are you done yet? Honestly. How do people work without a puppy under their desk?

19 comments:

Runner Girl said...

It's a lovely desk...but in which room does it rest?

Kelly said...

LOVIN' the 25 cent yellow rose pot. i want to go to your thrift store. ;)

Vee said...

Hmmm, a beautiful desk. I'm glad that no one is asking to see mine!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful desk!

-FringeGirl

Susan said...

Very pretty ...
and oh thank Good ness for
Kind ness. Amen.

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

Lovely desk...and a messy desk shows a fruitful mind...that's what I say. I love your inspirational photos!

Rosa said...

I love your desk area.
Mine is a little bland right now and I've been racking my brains as to what I could use for an inspiration board the isn't a regular bulletin board.I like the wire thing you have.
And when it comes to dogs and work. . .
I walk Jada as soon as I get home from bus bus run in the morning or she'll keep wandering over to me and staring until I take her out. lol.

Leigh Ann said...

Brin,
I wanted to comment on your post yesterday. I see so much about Obama and Hope. REALLY PEOPLE? "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness" He is forever my hope yesterday,today and forever!

Terri Steffes said...

I feel better about my desk.

Just kidding!! My desk is a hodge podge of things that I love and it looks like yours is too!

Michelle said...

Amidst all that it still looks beautiful. :) My whole place is a diary of a mad woman! Seriously. :)

Unknown said...

It's just as I pictured! Love it! I too am wondering what room it's in?

paisley penguin said...

Love your inspiration board and I too love the book Business of Bliss. I used to get Victoria Magazine. My puppy is always under my desk at home. :)

Julie said...

"The desk" is beautiful! I am out visiting new blogs today and just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed yours!

Jessica said...

Your desk looks like such an inspiring place. My desk is scary-looking and unphotographable!

Elenka said...

Your puppy looks sooo soft, is she?
Also, I hope you don't think this is inappropriate or too nosy, but I was wondering how Henrybella was coming along. I've followed your beginnings on that project and was just thinking about it.

Tara said...

Don't you just love Bart Millard! Love the desk! Have to have an inspirational place to write! Great books too.

divadoin's said...

Just beautiful!!!!:0)

Seawashed said...

Your desk area is very whimsical. But favorite of all is your ipod choice...Misty Edwards! I first heard her sing when she was 18...made me cry...her intimacy illuminating from that devout voice, so raw, so real to my own heartbeat...I cried and cried. I still cry when I listen to her. True worship from a lovesick bride.

Tee of Vinnord Cottage said...

oh my... that desk is gorgeous!!!! And so is your blog... I too left the hussle of a big town (Glasgow, and Oslo to be exact), followed my roots back home to a small town... started looking for the perfect house, and ended up buying a small cottage in the middle of nowhere, even futher into the countryside than what I grew up in... I too am redoing the entire thing... so far it's been fun... tireing, but fun!

I will certainly look back here... and link you :)

Have a great weekend...