Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Five Dollar, Thirty Minute Scarf

I was telling a friend about this scarf last night and she was psyched. A handmade scarf? For five dollars? That you can make in 30 minutes? That you can make without sewing or knitting or anything? Tell me. Tell me how.

I did, but then ended up sending her to this lovely link, where Martha breaks down the scarf's construction for us. (I'm still in the clammy/confused state - although I feel loads better! - and didn't want to ruin her $5/30 minute scarf plans.)

Mine's a bit wobbly and free form, but I like it that way. My friend's was a bit more structured and exact, and she liked hers that way. But either way, we agreed: this scarf is a perfect last minute, inexpensive gift. -Brin

(If you end up making one, leave us a comment with a link to your scarf. We want to see, too!)

10 comments:

~~Deby said...

oh...that is so cute...I might have to give it a try....when there is time....I love open things like that...
Deby

Linda Z said...

Cute and fun! I'll have to try it! :)

Lori Robertson said...

Hi Brin - I am a new reader from MS. I stumbled onto your bog looking for a recipe for Crockpot Candy. I am loving the great ideas you share on your blog. Anyway, just wanted to know you had a new reader.

Merry Christmas,
Lori in MS

Tara said...

Oh WOW....I love the scarf. I have so many, but you can never have enough. I will have to get it a whirl as soon as I can get the nerve up to go to Wal-mart to get the thread!!! LOL.... get well soon.

Anonymous said...

what a neat scarf and you can use it for any season..so cute the colors are endless....

Terri Steffes said...

I am going to do this but not til after the holidays!

Cathy said...

I will have to try this..thanks

Corinne said...

Wow, Brin, I love your scarf. I ran right on over to Martha Stewart yesterday and proceeded to make not one, but three of these scarves and I am not finished!!!! I am making one for so many people that I had wished I could knit for before Christmas, but knew I would not have the time. I made one in just one color and the other two I mixed colors...oh, they look so, so good. I will post pictures on my blog tomorrow so you can see. Thank you, thank you! Merry Christmas.
~Corinne

Unknown said...

I can always count on you to bring neat ideas to life on the cheap too! Love it! So glad your feeling better, just in time too!

Vintagesquirrel said...

I have the Martha special magazine (Homemade Holidays) that featured this scarf. I wanted to try it, but it sounded like one of things that sounds easier than it is to make. Also, I wasn't sure which kind and how much yarn to buy. The magazine also included instructions on making homemade marshmallows, which I tried, and blogged about. Come on over to check it out, if you have an extra minute...