Monday, October 26, 2015

Good Kind of Aches

My heart is drumming in my chest so hard it aches, but it's the good kind of ache, like the feeling you get on the first real day of autumn, when the air is crisp and the leaves are all flaring at the edges and the wind smells just vaguely of smoke - like the end and the beginning of something all at once. -Lauren Oliver, Delirium

We're now in the season of good kinds of aches, I think. Aches that remind us of home... of belonging... of people we've been assigned to and people we've chosen. 

These days are such a blessing, these crisp days that smell of smoke and decay. Don't you think? I look at autumn as the outer envelope of an invitation imploring me to come and participate in rest... and comfort... and (maybe a bit of) indulgence. I realize it's not that way for everyone, but for me, it is. Autumn says slow down, and curl up, and suspend your usual life while the world celebrates seasons and happenings that are bigger than we are. It's my favorite time of year, to borrow that bland phrase.

I'm watching leaves drift and fall today from the wide rocker on the creaky porch. It's cool, and raining. Another good ache. 

Hope today finds you well, and all your aches the kinds of ones that, although not necessarily pleasant, beat inside your chest as rhythmic reminders, saying: I'm living... I'm alive. I'm living... I'm alive....

Here's to the good ache of autumn and us being together yet another Monday. -Brin

3 comments:

rachel said...

It's so interesting to see you speak of Autumn imploring you to "rest", because for me it's like a re-charge. The crispness of the air, the colours of the leaves, the light *just so* sets my head on straight again and it's like I can think clearly and focus easier on what I need to do.
Mind you, I had a couple of stressful deadlines around end of summer/September time, so maybe its just the absence of manic last minute that's letting me breathe a little again ;)

Have a lovely Monday!

Unknown said...

Colder, rainy day with the wind bringing down of a cascade of leaves here in N. GA. I've got my pansies planted and it's been cool enough to enjoy my front porch again the last few days. I can relate to your experience as we moved here from Atlanta 8 months ago to a closed-in, wooded lot where it is quiet and we see deer (seven today) and watch the birds, lizards, turtles and turkeys. This is my dream for retirement. After the noisy, wild pace of the city, where I was born and lived for 66 years, we have the relaxation of having a garden and watching lots of nature in the yard. This is a day to cozy up with a good book and have potato leek soup....maybe a little knitting or quilting later.

SO glad you've found your happy place.....take it slow and appreciate every moment. Blessings....

Betty said...

Autumn is my favorite time of year as well. I want to hang onto each moment..just a little longer. Monday blessings!