Monday, December 10, 2012

The Chickens Get New Digs


Although I'm a few weeks away from settling into the cabin, my chickens have settled into their new space nicely. Even the new chicks. (I ended up with 10- not the seven I originally thought- when a "missing" hen walked up one day with her three chicks in tow. It was thrilling.)

They've been such a joy to watch. There's nothing more relaxing than sitting out here in the evening with some tea and seeing them playing, scratching, and chasing bugs. So far it appears they like the new digs.

A few of them are apart of the family, now, and have been named... mostly the outlandish-looking ones. This beautiful brown, black, gray, and copper-colored fella is Benn Gleck (haha!), seen above on the left and below on the right. It's my favorite, followed by Bethsaida, Beulah, Beatrix, Beauregard and Baby Haskins.

 The fuzzy white one is Baby Haskins, the obvious offspring of Haskins, this rooster below who follows me around like a puppy but flies at all my visitors if they get too close. (Which I secretly love. Pet attack rooster? Oh heck yes!)

After all, you can't have too many bodyguards. Or friends. Even they're 10 inches tall and have feathers. A girl who lives in a cabin in the woods needs all the help she can get, eh?

Happy Monday, from Millicent, Miss Marple, the chickens and me. -Brin

10 comments:

Beehind Thyme Garden & Wares said...

Oh, Brin... such darling chicks! I LOVE the fluffiness, what kind are they? I would truly love to add this variety to my flock come spring.

And congratulations on your new home... I look forward to seeing the progress in creating it into a cozy cottage.

Blessings,
Pamela from Kentucky

Monica said...

I love your chickens, and what a fun surprise to add three more little chicks :-) Happy Monday to you ...

Chanda said...

One of my chickens did the same surprise on me, lol. I thought she was just gone one evening when she didn't come up to be penned up for the night. A while later she emerged from underneath the front porch with 10 beautiful little babies following. It was such a sweet blessing. I am happy for you that your little cabin dreams are coming true. That is great news.

Chanda said...

One of my chickens did the same surprise on me, lol. I thought she was just gone one evening when she didn't come up to be penned up for the night. A while later she emerged from underneath the front porch with 10 beautiful little babies following. It was such a sweet blessing. I am happy for you that your little cabin dreams are coming true. That is great news.

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Have you ever visited Suzanne at www.chickensintheroad.com? She bought an old farm with an old house last year and is working on fixing it up!

Brin said...

Thanks, y'all! Aren't chickens such fun?

Pamela- I'm told the fluffy ones are called Frizzled Cochins. They are the SWEETEST, most gentle chickens ever, and will follow you around like pets. The hens lay the smallest (smaller than a golf ball) sized eggs you've ever seen. They're cream, and they are ADORABLE! :) I hope you can find some in Kentucky.

Monica- Thanks for those sweet words. Have a great week! <3

Chanda- Haha! Yes, it totally freaked me out when I had a "missing" hen. I resigned myself to the fact that somehow something had gotten her, when low and behold: there she was, trailing the cutest chicks ever behind her. It was the coolest thing! Thanks for your kind wishes. I hope you see some hard-held dreams come true for you soon, too. :)

Stickhorsecowgirls- I used to keep up with Suzanne's adventures, but it's been awhile since I've "dropped" in on her. Thank you for the reminder! She is incredible and what she's done with her place- and her life!- is so inspirational. Thank you for re-introducing me to her again!

-Brin

GraceC said...

Hello...I've been reading your blog for a while now...went wayyy back to the older posts and have so very much enjoyed all you have shared. So thank you for opening your life and world to others. You inspire me to live life more fully even though I'm getting a late start to do it, at my old age (turn 61 in Jan). Your blog 'energizes' me. You have gone so many directions it was kind of difficult to keep up with who you really are...lol. In my reading of our past years I had just got used to learning about your professional, business woman side...and then boom, now you are cabin girl. Kind of hard for my brain to form a new 'pic' of you, but I'm so looking forward to seeing what you do with you new home. I now tell everyone, enjoy your youth and flexible body while you have it, because when the knees go, so too does most of life! Just one minor knee injury has drastically limited my physical capacities. Can't wait to watch the babies grow and read stories of their escapades. Thanks again, GraceC

Betty said...

I have always wanted to have chickens scratching around the yard but alas my neighbors would not approve I'm sure:)
Good to hear you have a rooster who is looking out for you:)

sherry said...

i'm loving this :)

Linda Z said...

Love the names! How fun!

I wish I could have chickens, but they aren't zoned for my neighborhood or something! I'd sure love fresh eggs though! :)