Sunday, February 1, 2009

Christian Laundry Jokes. And Awards.

Laundry. It never ends, does it? I was reminded how big and time-consuming laundry can be when, one morning in Sunday School, a fourth grader brought in a picture of piles of dress socks and white socks. The caption underneath read: Even God had to separate the lights from the darks.

Hoo boy. We Christians sure do know how to crack a good Genesis/laundry joke, huh?

I rushed in last night from my parents', where my Dad is doing much better. (Thanks so much for the prayers! He's a private guy, and when I told him that I mentioned him on my blog, he moaned. So suffice to say he's doing better, and we all appreciate your support.) It amazed me, sitting by his bed yesterday, how tough he was, even hooked up to machines lying in a hospital bed. He bragged, every half hour, that he hadn't pushed the button on the morphine pump in (1, 2, 3, etc.) hours. He also took great care to tell the nurses about it. One nurse said, "Mmhmm, good. Now let me take a look at your feet," to which my Dad grumbled, "What will looking at my feet tell you? I have on socks." The nurse didn't reply, but scooted up the sheet and prodded his feet, then pursed her lips and wrote something down.

Looking at his feet, I thought of all the laundry I needed to do, and how many socks I'd have to hang on the clothesline today. Weird, but that's what I thought about. That, and Even God had to separate the lights from the darks.

Still cracks me up.

Corny jokes aside, I'd like to welcome those who've made it over here from the Top 100 Christian Women's Blogs of 2008. I'm honored this little blog won that distinction, but am even more thrilled by all the visits and moments we had last year. It was quite a year, wasn't it? And for all of those who nominated My Messy, Thrilling Life, thanks. -Brin

11 comments:

Vee said...

Very happy to hear that your dad is doing better...he sure does sound stoic...I'd be laying on that button.

And, many congrats on being named in the top 100 Christian Women's Blogs! Yes, it was an interesting, exciting, disturbing, pretty wild year that 2008.

Random said...

i don't understand the joke...

Brin said...

Random,

My bad. Told you it was a cheesy Christian joke.

The third and fourth verses of the Bible: And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness.

I have a strange sense of humor. Obviously. Because this is hilarious to me.... Brin

Lady Laura said...

Glad to hear your father is doing better. Congratulations on the Christian Women's Blog Award.

Very amusing post and I especially enjoyed the pic of the socks on the line. There's something about clothes on a line......

Your post reminded me of a sermon last summer when the visiting pastor was speaking about work, how we're required to work here on earth, how we'll have work to do in heaven. And then, in a totally unexpected moment of humor he said "Not to worry, we Baptists have the kitchen covered!" That little Baptist church is the eating-est group of people I've ever met--any excuse for a potluck!

Terri Steffes said...

Congrats on the award. It is very well deserved!

Glad to hear your dad is better.

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

From someone who loves to hang laundry on the line, I love that photo! Glad that your dad is doing better, thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your award!!! Glad to hear that your father is doing better.

-FringeGirl

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Just wanted to add my two cents that I love your blog. I'll keep praying for your dad, and you hang in there as well. Cute joke!

Susan said...

Phew ! Thanks so much for explaining that "joke". There is nothing better than the smell of laundry fresh from the line.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Good news about your Dad, he sounds similar to mine :).

Congratulations on your nomination, what an honor it is and a blessing to have been along this past year. May you have many more :).

Blessings,
MN Kathi :)

PS,
cute joke!

Rosa said...

Glad to hear your dad is doing better!
I'll keep praying for all of you. . .
I'm also glad you explained the joke. . . :)
I'm thinking that since the temps are hovering just above freezing I may hang my laundry today as well. Not something that I can do often at this time of the year!
Have a great week.