Thursday, March 20, 2008

How Does My Garden Grow?

Freeman House saw a few inches of snow as I was preparing to leave the country. Snow? Here? I'd never seen the old place wearing white before. So the night before I left, I was out in the garden at 1 AM overturning bowls and buckets and containers onto delicate lettuces and seedlings and baby herbs.

I'm so thankful it worked. I inspected everything yesterday to find that I'd lost only two lettuces, one flower, and an oregano. I can live with that.

Today will be a gardening day. It's brilliantly sunny and after a cold, angry storm, a forecasted high of 68 F sounds lovely. I need to work wheelbarrow loads of my own organic compost into the beds. I need to get peas, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes and squash in the ground. (Butternut squash, anyone? Ha ha.) I have high hopes for my garden this year.

Did I tell y'all about one of the books I just finished devouring? It's called Living the Good Life by Linda Cockburn, an Australian mother who decided to embark on the ultimate live healthy/save money/ be-there-for-her-family experiment ever. While it's not a practical how-to book for every household, this book inspired me more than I can say. I'm excited, again, about gardening. I'm excited about the benefits of a "waste not, want not" year. I'm excited about the seven little spring projects I have sketched out to show you. I'm excited about making this simple live even simpler.

Better head out. I'm burning precious daylight, and my gallon glass jars of tea are ready to brew in the spring sun. If you need me, my apron and I will be out in the garden.

Boy, I've missed saying that....

8 comments:

Adrienne said...

Good to know your garden survived the weather. Thanks for sharing it with us. There's nothing like a home-grown garden! Can't wait to see your next projects. ~Adrienne~

Vee said...

Enjoy your day in the garden, Brin!

Betty said...

Oh how I would like to be in my garden but at this moment it is still under snow..after reading about your garden Brin, I really am energized to dig and plant in my garden! Around here it won't happen till May. In the meantime I'll be enjoying what you share of yours!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy looking at the pictures of your garden. living here in the dark deep freeze I do not get to put anything in the ground until the first week of june. Happy Gardening!

Jen said...

Sigh...

I'm a little bit jealous :)

I'll just have to continue to plan and dream for now.

Jen

Sissy said...

Welcome home! Glad you had a good time and glad you are back with us safely!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

ohhh.. your garden looks just lovely! We were just looking in all of our March/April magazines at all of the wonderful gardens - wishing that we could be out in the dirt! We've got two more months, so enjoy it for us!
Karrie & Karla

a woman who is said...

Your garden is looking fine. I am inspired. We are a little bit behind you here in WA. But things are starting to bud and sprout.