Friday, January 4, 2008

More on Mattering

I just loved the comments from yesterday's post. If you haven't read them, you're missing the best part of this blog. As they came in, I felt like a kid at a candy shop... like I was in a room full of sweet, sweet things. Thank you for them all.

Thinking more about the mattering thing today, and how easy it is to get totally absorbed in ourselves and our lives. It's like water spiraling down the bathtub drain - the days just have this way of sucking me into their minutes and minutia. Before I know it, hours... days... months... are gone and there's nothing to show for them. I don't know about you, but I believe we were all created by a loving God who has a specific purpose in mind for each of us. For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord... reads Jeremiah 29:11. I hate the idea of not fulfilling His plan... not being all He meant for me to be... because I'm so taken with myself, my hobbies, and my things. Guess it's really weighing heavy on my heart this year.


Maybe that's why I love to read stories of people who find a way - in their daily lives - to matter. People like Bernie Berlin (that's her, with the kitten). She founded and runs A Place to Bark, a "no kill foster and adoption rescue dedicated to the welfare of animals". I love her and her place. Like so many of you said in your comments, it's not about changing the world, it's about changing lives - one life, even. And Bernie saves sweet animal lives. She can't do it alone, though. She needs old towels, blankets, food, treats... anything. For her mailing address, or other ways you can help Bernie matter, visit her help center here.

There are as many ways to spread hope as there are people to spread it. Whether you have more time, money, or love, there are a zillion ways a day to matter. That's so encouraging, I think. Sometimes a hug is all it takes. Sometimes a phone call. Sometimes a few boxes of Mac 'n' Cheese to a food bank. Other times it's a homemade meal or a ride or a shoulder to bawl on. Sometimes it's as simple as telling someone they're appreciated... not for what they do, but for who they are.

Which brings me back to y'all and all the comments. I wanted to say again, before I got off on Bernie and soldiers and shoulders, that I truly appreciate you all. You're such an encouragement and for that and a thousand other reasons, you matter to me. -Brin

14 comments:

Jenny said...

Mwuh! (That's a cyber kiss. A friendly one, of course.)

:)
Jenny

Anonymous said...

I think your blog today just shows how you do matter. I look forward to all your adventures throughout the country and in particular Freeman house. Your creative and giving spirit matters, it touches the lives of all your faithful readers. You have provided me comfort and validation on days where I too wonder what I can do to make a difference and struggle whether I'm the only one who thinks this way. You have renewed my faith on days I question deeply. Never discount your importance or the power of your thoughtful and thought provoking words -- you just never know who you may be helping. Happy New Year Brin.

Anonymous said...

I sent Christmas cards to the same address that you have posted here and they came back to me. I looked it up on Snopes and apparently it isn't true.

Here is the link:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/soldiercards.asp

I'm sorry! I thought it was a great thing too :(

Sherry

Anonymous said...

Brin-
I so look forward to reading about your daily happenings. And your photo's are just beautiful. You inspire me, (and so many of your faithful readers) to enjoy the simplicity of life. Thank you for making me smile. Matter? Are you kidding? Of course you do! Far more than you realize.
Susan

Brin said...

Sherry - Yipes! Thanks for the info. The addy's been taken down to avoid any further confusion. If you do find the correct information, holler, would you?

Thanks!
Brin

Amy said...

If you're talking about the Any Soldier address, they can't deliver them due to security reasons. They're trying to avoid poisoned cards or cards with negative messages. You can only send mail to a soldier name.

They had to change the rules after 9/11.

Betty said...

Brin...you matter much to me, I so appreciate your words and am always gleaning something from them..

Anonymous said...

Brin,
You mean so much to so many. You have brightened some of my darkest days. Your faith helps make my faith stronger.You are a very giving person & so many of us gain an awful lot from your wisdom, not to mention your adventures. I will be glad when you are at Freeman house to stay!

Elenka said...

Awww, I almost thought that you had acquired a new pet from your photos!!
I was just wondering, how long do you need to be away from home during your job stints? Do you get to come home on a regular basis? I hope so!!
By the way, you matter to us, out here in cyberspace! Best to you, Brin.

Vee said...

To matter, to be understood, to do work that is worthwhile, to answer God's call...it is enough to weigh a gal down.

We, your blogging pals, see something else entirely, I think. We see someone doing all of the above and still reaching for more.

Perhaps a good rest is in order...a rest from thinking too much amd a rest in knowing that God has it all in control. Remember the ticket story that Corrie ten Boom told in "The Hiding Place"? We don't need the ticket until we get on the train.

Trust us, you do matter and not only to God. You've become a very important part of many of our lives. I think it's because you're a bit of a modern day John the Baptist...Look! Here comes Jesus!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Jeremiah 29:11, one of my favorite verses and how true it is! God has a plan for each one of us!

Thank you Brin for the beautiful pictures and motivation to make a difference in our world, there are so many needs and you've given us some great places to start :).

I would like to share my husbands favorite young friend Shauna Fleming who has been working with our soldiers since she was in high school. If you'd like to send cards please visit her web site. http://www.amillionthanks.org/

Unknown said...

Thanks for your writings on mattering. Sometimes we get so busy that we overlook the opportunities around us. I'm going to try to find ways to matter too.

Anonymous said...

And sometimes mattering is just being that friend who is always willing to go deep into a friendship no matter how far away the friend is, or how often or not you get to hear from her. That's what helps you matter to me. I appreciate your willingness to stick with me. I sat in a circle of women today, and they all were talking about how some of the best friendships they had at one time totally changed because of changes in their lives over here. Their friends weren't willing to adapt to the changes in them. Thank you for being above that. Apparantly it's rare in my circle, and it makes me appreciate you even more.

You have and always will matter to me just because of who you are.

love,
Sara

Unknown said...

Brin for President!! Can you just imagine how better off the world would be? LOL