Saturday, September 8, 2007

Pine Cones, Cheerleaders, and Mac-N-Cheese

Leisurely September Saturday. Now that all the sheets are billowing out on the line... and my recipe for fall macaroni and cheese* is finally perfected... I'm settling in to make Pine cone Wreaths for the library.

What's that, you say? Not yet time to make pine cone wreaths? Of course it is. When I had to dash to the grocery store for extra pumpkin this morning, I was nearly flattened by men hauling off bundles of firewood and sacks of deer corn. Well, that and the throng of people lined up to meet the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. The Cowboy's Pro Gear truck made an appearance in our little town today, complete with their mobile Hall of Fame display and their girls in lots of makeup and hairspray and very thick pantyhose. I don't think I'd ever seen a Cowboy cheerleader up close before. It was disturbing, to be honest.

But that's not the point. The point is that once we're talking deer corn and firewood and football it is time to make pine cone wreaths. Besides, make them now and they're good through the New Year. Just use neutral ribbon or change it out before Christmas.

Of course, I had to explain this to my sister on Monday as I dragged her away from the television and cell phone to help me collect the pine cones. This is the piney woods of East Texas, after all. Pine cones are everywhere. "What do you want with these dumb things?" my sister kept asking, followed by, "OUCH! Why do mine POKE?!"

Better get busy. I'm thinking these wreaths need to be spectacular after all the yelling and pricked fingers that went into making them possible.

*My recipe for fall macaroni and cheese began with this Country Living inspiration, but since has taken on a taste and method of its own. Omgosh. It's good. The recipe will be in my forthcoming cookbook.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love pine cone wreaths, they remind me of autumn and Christmas and all that good stuff. Also like to smush peanut butter on them, dip them in sunflower seeds and hang them out for the birds.
Mac-n-cheese is most certainly a an autumn comfort dish and it's got to be homemade! Ah Brin...you've made me hungry! Now I must get that macaroni cooking...

Unknown said...

Oh, I can't wait for your cookbook! The kids grew up on mac and cheese so I'm always trying out new ways to fix it! And how I wish I had pinecones to collect to make wreaths, cant' wait to see yours!

Rox said...

I love to make pine cone wreaths! And I love the new pictures on the border! Did you take them? I am so ready for Fall... It is still too hot to really imagine it yet here... Although I got a few things out today for Fall decorating. They are in a box so I can look in when I walk by! ;)I will put them up by the beginning of Fall in a couple of weeks....

BellaColle said...

AAhh... You are my boys new fave chef!!lol!!! Mac n cheese is a staple around here...
LOL about the cheerleaders!! I'd probably echo the 'scary'
Can't wait to see the wreaths!

Terri Steffes said...

You have to promise to let us have first run copies of your cook book. Yummo.

I can't wait to see a wreath.

Brigitta said...

can't wait for you cookbook (please use metric measurements as well!!!) 'cause I'm in desperate need for a proper mac 'n cheese recipe, it's not a well know thing over here :-((

Ricë said...

wish you could make a side trip here to West Texas and collect and put to good use all our pine cones before the #^%$# squirrels make this hideous mess with them, littering the ground below with tiny sharp shards. your creations would be SO much lovelier!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE mac & cheese. It is the ultimate comfort food!

Anonymous said...

Oh, mac & cheese by brin sounds divine!

Kim said...

Martha and Rachael, both, have a version of this recipe. I always make Racheal's on the first chilly fall day. Nothing signals fall to me like this pasta with pumpkin cream sauce.