Friday, September 28, 2007

Blessed Peace

Freeman House is off the same road and less than two miles from what I consider to be the most beautiful state park in Texas. It has camping grounds and picnic spots and swimming holes and fishing coves and boat slips and... most importantly, if you ask me... peace. Blessed peace. I love to be there as the sun rises and sets. It's one of my favorite places in the world.

I go there often. Usually I park alongside the swimming holes and veer sharply to my right to an out-of-the-way place on the lake that I like to call Canoe Corner. It probably has an official area name or something but I don't know it. All I know is the canoes line up here to sleep at night and I like where they bed down. I'll bet you would, too.

Most of the time I sit on the grass, or sometimes on a nearby bench, and watch the sun slip and fall and the water ripple and roll. But last night I didn't stop at the canoes or at the grass. Even though it had just rained, I kicked off my flip-flops and smooshed my way through the mud to the water's edge.

I stood there for what seemed like an hour's worth of watery, golden minutes. I didn't think, really, or wonder or pray or cry. I just stood as the water rolled into v-shaped ripples around my ankles and the silt swirled and fell around my feet.

Then I waded forward - swishswishswish - until I was so far in I couldn't see the silt swirl. I could almost reach the lily pads. Then, slowly, I gazed up at the burning-away sky and whispered, I'm here, Lord, at the water's edge. Holy God, please part this sea of loneliness. Part my red river of pain.*

And He will, I think. I think He was just waiting for me to ask. And I think before I ever did He was already stirring the waters.

Thanks for hanging in with me these last few days. Hope you have a weekend of blessed peace. -Brin

*Lyrics from Moses as sung by Patty Griffin on Living With Ghosts.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

All we have to do is ask and God hears us! What a peaceful place to go and meditate..thanks for sharing it, Brin.
God is our refuge...

Anonymous said...

I love this truism, "God will mend a broken heart if we give Him all the pieces."

Praying for you! Much Love!

Anonymous said...

He knew your needs before you did. He is a gentleman and waits... and what sweet surrender for us to give 'it' up to Him.

Bless you...

Anonymous said...

OH do I know the blessed relief of peace washing over & within... been thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

Just to say I love you and am thinking of and praying for you. See you soon.

Deb said...

What a beautiful spot to go to and be at peace. There is something so soothing about being near the water - I live just minutes from Lake Ontario & love to go down in the morning with coffee & just sit quietly. Have a blessed weekend.

Terri Steffes said...

Beautifully said. I love Grace's quote, too.

Anonymous said...

'He leads me beside the still waters . . . . . . . . . . . . He restores my soul.'

Unknown said...

What a special spot of yours, I have many, all in natures backyard, all waiting for me whenever I need the blessed peace. I'm so happy your finally finding some, been thinking about you. Time heals. Enjoy your weekend!

BellaColle said...

Oh yes! could use a little peace right now!! God is faithful... and He loves you... no better place to be than under His wings!

kari and kijsa said...

Beautiful! We love this song by Tree63 that says "It's Friday, but Sunday is coming" thought of that this friday evening, looking at your beautiful pictures and words.
blessings,
kari & kijsa

~Molly~ said...

Oh my, I am soooo soooo sorry for your loss. And, unlike your barncat friend, I do understand all too well. When my first cat child died, it took me years to get over him. It did get better over time but I had what I called "Junior moments" frequently where I'd just cry and cry. You are in my prayers.

Molly

ps, I know that very spot! We were there earlier this summer for my husband to run on the trail that goes around the lake. My son loves the geese there.