Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sick Millie

No matter how little money
and how few possessions you own,
having a dog makes you rich.
-Louis Sabin

Not financially rich, mind you. {cough}

This old picture, taken in a hotel in Colorado back in June, kills me. Millie's standing proudly over her carnage - that day a 3-pack of paper towels, the sash to my bath robe, and a few of her toys. I remember coming in and starting to scold her but then lying on the floor and laughing so hard that she hurried over and frantically licked my face.

I came home last night from church and knew something was wrong with Millie. By all evidence, she hadn't moved from her bed in 9 hours. She wasn't eating. She wouldn't drink. I hauled her outside where she took care of business and then sat where she was. I had to carry her - 44.2 pounds of chocolate lab! - back inside.

Our little town doesn't have an emergency vet, so we were at the animal hospital this morning. To say that I was worried was an understatement. The last time I was there with a sick animal was the day Maebelline died. (That was just over a year ago, but I still miss her.) I slammed the vet with questions as he confirmed Millie had fever. Is it a snake bite? I asked. No, no sign of that, came the reply. Will she be okay? Don't let her die, I pleaded. I'll pay double.

She has staff infection. Poor little brown dog. The vet injected Millie with $200 worth of antibiotics (which hurt me worse than her, I think!), and sent us home. She's slept almost every minute since. But she's going to be fine.

So I've hurried around the house today throwing everything Millie could have possibly touched into the washer. I'm keeping a close eye on her as I prepare for tomorrow night's dinner and Saturday night's high school girl sleepover at Freeman House. Should all be fun, sick dog withstanding.

Ooop. She's getting up. Is she headed for her water bowl? Good. Very good. (Sigh.)

(*Monday Update* Millie is doing much better and seems to be more comfortable. We send our thanks for the concern and love sent our way...)

30 comments:

Rox said...

Hang in there. And drinking is good, very good. Please keep us posted on her recovery. I hope you guys have a great sleepover!

Rox

Cathy said...

I hope she gets to moving around and feeling better. Don't you hate that she can't tell you what's wrong.

Jenn said...

Praying for Millie. We have BUster. We call him the worlds greatest dog. I was not a dog lover until him! He changed our lives. Dogs are God's proof of unconditional love...Kids too:)

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Praying for Millie, poor thing. It has to be difficult to be sick and your human not understand doggie language. At least HER human understands the language of love. :)

It has been a little over a year since our seventeen year old kittie (Storm Girl) had a stroke and had to be put to sleep.

I still miss her.

paisley penguin said...

So hard when a pet is sick. I just freak out when my dog get's sick. I'll be thinking good thoughts!

nanatrish said...

Bless her heart! It's so much llike when babies are sick and can't tell you what's wrong. We have several labs and they are such sweethearts.

Eloise said...

I hope Millie is feeling better and back to destructo mode soon!

Rosa said...

Poor Millie! It's so scary when they get sick like that. You feel so helpless.
And that painful vet bill. . . I sure know how that feels!
I'll be praying for the both of you.
Hope she's up and around soon.

Debe said...

Oh I hope Mille is wagging that tail by now. I still miss your kitty (and didn't know her...love kitties). Have two 60 pounders and after Ike blew down our fence we couldn't find Sydney...she came prancing down the front street after dodging out the back which means she went along a bayou & came out along a very busy street. Our dogs become our babies..Millie, be well. Sydney and Bailey want you well!!!

Sher's Creative Expressions said...

So sorry Millie is out of sorts. Now that she has meds. she'll be better in no time!!! She didn't get into the chocolates did she? That can make them very sick!!

Blessings,

Sher

Anna said...

My heart stopped when I got to the paragraph about the vet centre! I thought I was going to pass out here at my desk. Thank goodness she will be okay. The last time I nearly fainted was also at the vet's - a fortnight ago, when Holly (our brown spaniel-lab) had a splinter stuck in her eye. She had to be sedated for the vet to pull it out. Yeek. But she is better. Dogs are so daft.

Kristie said...

Poor little Millie!! I hope she's doing better today!! Will keep your sweet puppy in my prayers!!!

thedomesticfringe said...

Hope she's feeling better soon and you have an enjoyable weekend.

traci said...

at least she is up and moving around. hopefully the antibiotics kick in quickly. poor baby. i hope she's up and shredding paper towels in no time!!

The Quintessential Magpie (Sheila) said...

My two senior dogs just went over the rainbow bridge, and I know how much it hurts to lose a beloved pet. So I'm very happy to read that Millie is going to be okay. Will pray that she improves with each day's passing. She's such a precious girl, like her mom.

Sheila

Cori G. said...

Oh poor Millie, poor you! I hope she's feeling better soon!
A high school sleep over sounds fun!
Enjoy!

Pippi said...

Oh Dearest Brin...(a.k.a. Millie's Mama!)I feel for you so deeply. I have my BBF, Tater who is the joy of my heart! She is but 8mths old, a terrier mix and the love of my soul. I can't bear the thought of you taking your Dear Millie in and feeling her pain. Love to you & her speedy recovery!

Pippi said...

Oops!....that's BFF!

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

Oh Brin, so sorry to hear of Millie, but I know she will be alright! I loved the quote about dog owners being rich, so very true! You sure are brave to host a high school girl sleepover, can't wait to hear all about that! Kisses for Millie!

Becky K. said...

Sending get well wishes to Millie.

She seems like such a sweetheart.

Becky K.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Whew! poor Millie, I'll be praying for her....and you Brin!

Hugs,
MN Kathi :)

GirlonTour said...

What a super blog I have stumbled across...I might just take a snoop?

Running with a sharp pencil said...

This may sound strange, but would you pray for my 23 yr. old daughter,--and if you have time e-mail me regarding specifics?

Deb said...

Sending get well wishes to sweet Millie for a speedy recovery!

Lovella said...

Oh.. .those pups get under our skin. . and we're hopeless to stand against it.
We've had to take our pups to the vet too .. .it's so expensive and heart wrenching. . .hope Millie perks up in time for your dinner.

Terri and Bob said...

Sick pets are so hard... they can't tell us what is wrong and yet, they obviously are not well. Little prayers for your sick one!

klsaline said...

Brin - we haven't heard from you in a day or two. How is Miss Millie?

Hoping all is well!

Take care - Kate

Lindy said...

Just stopping by to see how Millie is doing...

Andy Guo said...

At first I was marveled to see such a blog.Your blog is sparkling. It has a great appeal.

How are U able to cope such a lot. Meet me at
http://gwb-chinese.blogspot.com/
Waiting with curiosity. To know your innovation.

MaryO said...

So very sorry to hear Millie is suffering from a Staph(ylococcus) infection.