Friday, January 12, 2007

My Favorite Things

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens;
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens;
Brown paper packages tied up with strings;
These are a few of my favorite things.
- Oscar Hammerstein II, Richard Rodgers

I was driving, frantically, through traffic today when I was suddenly aware of two things: one, that I had turned the radio off; and two, that I was shamelessly belting out "raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens... these are a few OF MY FAAAAVORITE THINGS....". Hmm. Thank God it's Friday!



As soon as I finished my shameless singing (... and then I don't feel... so baaaa-aaaa-aa-aa-ad!), I started thinking of a few of my favorite things. I lost myself in them. It was strange how, once I was done, I felt amazingly de-stressed. (Wonder if it would work a second time?)

So... my favorites. Where would you start? I figured clean laundry was high atop my list. There's something so comforting... so right-with-the-world... when I see fresh towels, folded right off the clothesline.

Oh! And books. Slap nearly anything between two covers (within reason) and I'm game. Right now I'm reading Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke. (The link's to the left.) It's truly inspiring for anyone who lives a creative life. When I'm not reading, betcha money I'll be watching TV... (Gilmore Girls or FoodNetwork... Nigella Lawson!); movies... (anything classic, girly, or lawyerish), or listening to music (Holly Brook and Tristan Prettyman are two my eternal favorites). Yea!

If we're talking products, I love Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty. If you haven't tried it, do. It's a miracle. Also, you have to love the girls at Brickhouse Soap. (Again, link to the left.) Their handmade, organic soaps are so beautiful and yummy that people sometimes mistake them for food! I always keep a jar of the Lavender/Rosemary/Mint near the bath:






(I promise their soap doesn't match my wall color. But it does look like it here, doesn't it? Huh.)

Also, I love gardens. The sweetheart over at Farmgirl Fare (yep, link's to the left) is my daily inspiration. This former city girl grows anything that doesn't have parents. Truly! Following her advice, I'll be knee-deep in soil, compost, and seeds all day Saturday. Beginning in February, you can come by Freeman House anytime and pig out in the backyard garden. (And by the way, if you drop by now, you'll find ... er... um... dozens of pots everywhere. I'm rooting hydrangeas and climbing roses and some suprisingly healthy Lamb's Ear and Greek Oregano that have been on the property forever. I've also potted up pecans, which, after spending a few weeks in a deep, watery bucket, told me there's still something alive happening inside their shells. Therefore, they were planted.

Ah, yes. Favorite things. They are so comforting on a cold January day like this, aren't they? I could go on for hours. Oh... and speaking of favorite things, I have a pot of soup on my new (vintage) stove that's been bubbling for over an hour now. Guess I'll go slosh some in a bowl and settle into my favorite chair and pick up one of favorite pasttimes - knitting! quilting! - and call it a quiet Friday night. Good night, my favorite friends!

There is no need to go anywhere else to find peace.
You will find that deep place of silence
right in your room, your garden or even your bathtub.
- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

No comments: