Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Stone Path

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate
And though I oft have passed them by
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.
-J. R. R. Tolkien

We have discovered a stone path.

It seems obvious now, being cleared and all. But two weeks ago it wasn't. I was headed back to the house from the little shop when suddenly, I saw them: the corners of two square stones, touching as if they meant to. I thought it was odd... why would there be two half-sunk stones in the middle of a yard?

Ah. But there weren't just two, there were hundreds. The path is cleared now. How long has it been, I wonder, since it last was?

My sister came for a visit yesterday and was astonished to see it. When did y'all have the time to lay this? she asked. I smiled. We walked it from the corner of the shop all the way to the steps of the long, glassed-in sun room and inside.

I have plans for three small gardens here: an ivy + rose garden with a gazebo on the north side, a vegetable garden on the east/south, and herbs and trailing things in beds and corners all around. This past weekend, some chives, mint, sage and homemade butter-colored lantanas went into the ground next to the steps off the path. They're flanked by butterfly bushes. I'll wait and see how they fill in and then edit from there.

As you may have heard, Tropical Storm Bill is lumbering through. It's raining now- hard- onto ground that was at saturation point weeks ago. This is stranger than any summer I remember. After the rain clears and the heat lets up, we will begin garden plans in earnest.

Until then, we wait.

I'm painting the library/study today and am so wishing it was already done so I could curl up in there and read until dozing off. For now, the lamp light is cozy and rain drums at the windows...

From my rain-soaked path to you, take care today.  -Brin

8 comments:

Betty said...

Oh I love that path Brin and the plants look so charming and inviting along the house and steps. Wondering what other treasures you will find:)

deb said...

Sooooo Cool!!!

Susan said...

perfect, perfect, perfect
can't wait for more, more & more xo

Unknown said...

I wonder how many steps have been taken on that path! It's perfect!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a treat that garden path is! Hope the rain lets up soon for you.

I am looking forward to seeing what all is going on inside and out of your new home.

FlowerLady

Lynne said...

I hope if you ever paint the house and shed again that you keep that same wonderful color!

Aubrey said...

How fun! It starts to feel like you know the house like a person, the more you discover about it. Cheers to lots of treasures like this. :)

Terri Steffes said...

Quote: Nothing is lovelier than found treasures. Unquote. By me.