Friday, April 29, 2011

A Farm for the Future

I am a gardener. But for a living, I own a small oil and gas consulting/brokerage business. Needless to say, I am fascinated by topics such as energy and agriculture, peak oil, sustainable food supply, and even permaculture.

(You guessed it. I'm not the kind of gal you take to a funny movie. All my "Recommended For You" suggestions on Netflix fall in their "cerebral" category. Boring, right? ;)

But this isn't. If you're a gardener, a farmer, a homesteader, or anyone interested in the future of our food production, you may be as fascinated by A Farm for the Future as I was.

Or maybe not. But it was worth a shot.

*grin*

Happy weekend. -Brin

4 comments:

Seawashed said...

I watched all five parts of A Farm for the Future...I did not even know all of this was going on. Thank you for sharing this important info. I have been gardening in my backyards for over 20 yrs. I began in my first apt. planting veggies in planter boxes on my balcany. My hubby and I use organic methods and are learning as we go. We definetly could not live off of our garden. But I have changed how I shop for food for my family. We eat less beef(and only organic beef), more veggies locally grown, rice, soy, chicken, eggs. I have raised our children this way also. Change begins in our own heart, one person at a time. We can make a difference, each of us can, I believe.

Katy said...

I have yet to watch it, but I think I will. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

That looks like it would be right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation!

Anonymous said...

Looks like my kind of documentary too! I watch tons of stuff like this and read about sustainable agriculture. Fascinating! And SO essential! I too eat less meat, usually 1-3 times a week in a meal, and I use lots of veg, and more sustainable whole protein sources. Someday I want my own small sustainable hobby farm to make some of my own food/animals/etc. Would be nice. I remember growing up like this too, farms are work, but so rewarding at the same time, good food for your family! THANKS!! LOVED IT!