Sunday, July 25, 2010

No (Way I'll) Bake Desserts

I don't do much baking in July. I mean, have you ever been to Texas in high summer? It's a huge oven. With grass.

No bake desserts are the only way to go. The colder the better. The jucier the better. The lighter the better. The less time you have to spend away from the air-conditioning vent, the better.

Hello, Watermelon Cake! Have you picked up the August Martha Stewart Living? Buy or borrow it. I'm keeping my copy forever, it's that good. For this "cake", all you need is a seedless watermelon. And a knife. And a spoon (or a melon baller). Hack out a slab of watermelon, cut it into slices like cake, and top with scooped out balls of more watermelon. Refrigerate until ice cold.

I'm taking this to everything that requires food for the rest of the summer.

I also made the no-bake chocolate pudding/banana/graham cracker thingy. Only I slathered peanut butter between the layers, too. (I'm incorrigible.) It hits the table today. Will definitely report back on that.

Ah, summer. We'll conquer you yet.

5 comments:

Terri Steffes said...

Yummy. You need to check out my sorbet post.

Bug said...

Wow, that sounds great! I'd probably fill the empty watermellon with vanilla ice cream, then slice it and top with watermellon balls ;) I adore peanut butter, so I totally hear you on the other thing! :)

Unknown said...

Yes we will, thanks to light desserts! :)

Sissy said...

I was craving pudding the other day and bought some Kozy Shack Tapioca. So cool and creamy and with a dash of nutmeg, it hit the spot!

Catherine Anne said...

Beautiful