Monday, April 30, 2007

Monday Moment: All Roads Lead Home

I got lost recently. I got turned around and misdirected and the sun was almost directly above me so I couldn't tell East from West and... (breath)... I was lost.

So I pulled over. I tried to access mapquest on my cell phone. Nope. Network unavailable. So I tried calling 411. "What city and state?" asked the recording. Oh no. "Ummm... somewhere in Kansas." I said quickly. "I need directions."

"Somewhere, Kansas?" the lady operator repeated, matter-of-factly. "Never mind," I mumbled, and hung up.

Shoot. I hate it when I get lost in parts unknown. I was about to head back the way I came (again) when this rumbling old truck pulled up alongside me. The guy in the cab asked if I was looking for someplace."Yes sir, I am," I said. "The highway?"

He laughed. Then he pointed. To this road. "That'll get you there," he said. "But they say all roads lead home, eh?" Sure. Right. Nice man.

I took off down the road, chiding myself for being such an idiot... for just taking off without directions or maps or printed-out mapquests or anything. As I drove, my thoughts suddenly turned to that part in the Bible where Abram takes off. To parts unknown. The Lord said to Abram, Leave your country... and go to the land I will show you. So Abram left. (Genesis 12:1, 4) Talk about parts unknown. Talk about being lost! That road in front of Abram must have looked awfully intimidating. I can't imagine how that day must have played out for him- waking up, packing up, psyching himself up, and then... what? Walking. Just walking. Where to? He didn't know. When would he get there? He didn't know that, either. All he knew was that the Lord said: Leave. So Abram "left".

But he left in faith. Abram walked down the road God placed him on secure in the knowledge that while he may not know where his road was leading, he knew the One who did. He supplied the faith, and God supplied ("... I will show you") the directions. And by the way, if you're wondering - Abram's road did lead home - home to the future nation of Israel.)

I made a mental note (and took a picture) while driving down this road. I vowed to remind myself that while it seems like the roads in our lives sometimes lead to parts unknown - or seem to lead nowhere, even - that if we know Jesus as our Savior that's far from the case. God knows where we're headed. And if we'll supply the faith, our God will supply the directions.

After all, look at Abram. His bewildering road leading to parts unknown made sense in the end. And, as someone once told me when I got lost, "All roads lead home."

All the way my Savior leads me;
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my Guide?
Heavnly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.
-Fanny Crosby

Monday Moment is a little devotional to help kick start your week. Hope to see you again next Monday!

8 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks for that, Brin. I've been needing some cheer & good inspiration lately & it always helps to remember that God knows where we are going, even when it seems that we do not. You are a wonderful writer, young lady...and I always enjoy your posts so much.

How's the garden coming along?

Rhoda
Southern Hospitality

Unknown said...

This is so true!! I've taken what I thought was a wrong turn in life a few times, but turns out I was on the right path that lead me home and directed once again! Thanks for this great post, love Mondays thanks to you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a "Suzie Street Pilot"! Ha!
Don't you love it, though, when God takes those frustrating moments and turns them into nice little lessons?
Hope you are doing well!

Betty said...

Brin, I think sometimes we need to get off track a little so we know where our help comes from.....

I've also heard 'if you don't know where your'e going, any road will take you there......

God Bless.
Betty
Country Charm

It's a Mom Thing said...

Thought this might make your day...
http://thedraperhouse.blogspot.com/2007/04/this-is-big.html

Nadine said...

Hi, I happened upon your blog from a comment you left on my friend's. I really enjoyed reading your post. It's great that God always knows where we're going even if we don't, so long as we rely on Him.

Unknown said...

I tried to leave a comment yesterday and it came back to me? Just wanted to say, all roads lead somewhere, we may take a wrong turn at times, but always heading in the right direction! I love this post!

~Dawn~ said...

Hey Brin,
I've been reading your blog and am so inspired by your faith - do you mind sharing where that comes from? Did you go to church as a little girl? Have you just recently discovered your spirituality? I know these are personal questions but I read you posts and I see that you get it -- that which we cannot see we still can believe. If you'd like, here's my email - I'd love to chat. doorgunnerdawn@yahoo.com
Hope to hear from you,
Dawn
~A Charmed Life~