Monday, May 15, 2006

The 'Real Things' Vacation


It's like Laura Ingalls Wilder said: "The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong."

I read that earlier today and decided it would be the theme of my vacation. The vacation that started this morning. It was really time for one. I know many of you will remember the health issue I had back in 2002-2003. Looks like the problem creeped back up when I wasn't looking.

I got the call from my doctor in Dallas last week. Guess it's just taken a few days to process and contact my nearest next-of-kin. I've spent the last... er... week... walking around repeating Psalm 42:5 to myself: Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God.

Determined not to let these new circumstances derail me - emotionally or spiritually - I got up this morning ready to vacation. I considered flying to Colorado. Or Florida. Or heck, even Italy. I have a little money and some time, so why not? I mean, what was I going to do - stay at home for an entire week?

Then I read that Laura Ingalls Wilder quote this morning, and suddenly I felt strangely comforted.

So in the spirit of my new bucolic lifestyle, I decided to spend my vacation at home. (Isn't it funny how as kids we hated staying at home doing nothing in the summer... but as adults we long to do nothing more than stay home sometimes?) I made a jar of sun tea, grabbed the Sunday paper (which I never have time to read), and headed for the herb patio off the soon-to-be kitchen of Freeman House. (So I guess the picture above is from my vacation. Don't laugh.)

All this to say that I'm on vacation this week. So don't be surprised if I can't get to the phone. Or answer your text messages. Or dispatch carrier pigeons or return your smoke signals.

I think I'll be too busy putting my hope in God and having courage when things go wrong....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!! Thought about publishing your work? you should...keep it up!!