Friday, June 12, 2015

Beginning

The beginning is the most important part of the work.
-Plato

So I'm here. I'm here at the new house. It's surreal. I wander down the crooked hallway and through wavy-glass windowed rooms and can hardly believe it. I'm in the new house.

Thank you for your patience these past days as we moved and began the staggering task of... beginning. The most important part of the work. I appreciate you standing by and apologize for the time away.

We moved later than we anticipated, mostly due to the owner not getting herself moved in time. She called me at 1:30AM the night after she was supposed to be out and wailed about a leak in the kitchen and water everywhere. And so it began. We got here the first morning to a puddle standing in the kitchen floor, an air conditioning system that wouldn't work, and several other wonky things- a shattered glass door knob that sliced my hand open, a seeping toilet that soaked hardwood floors, a kitchen faucet that wouldn't give up any water. Needless to say, the first week I managed 5 separate repairmen- plumber, electrician, AC guy, handyman and a painting crew. Oh. And the yard man who goes by Yard Dawg. I think his name is Gene, but everyone calls him the Yard Dawg.

Oh yes. We'll get to all that later.

Since it was so warm and chaotic inside, I kept myself outside as much as possible. There are at least 100 projects out here to tackle anyway. The first thing I focused on was the tangled, listless front flower bed. I'll show you that soon. The second eyesore that begged my attention was the the little shop building at the back of the property.

Above is how the previous owner left it. Here's how it stood after being mostly cleared and ready for makeover:

I think it took me 5 hours, 7 contractor bags, and several wheelbarrow trips to remove all that mess. But look at her now! This little shop will be part my potting shed and part of the wood shop. (It's bigger than it looks- maybe 15' x 20'?) Now I just need some inspiration- what do you see on or along this broad wall? Please do share.

During the excavation of the shop grounds and after a visit from Yard Dawg, I also discovered a stone path. It leads from this west corner of the shop up to the door off the sun porch into the kitchen. I love it. Must show you that soon, as well. You can glimpse a peek in the corner of these photos.

Despite all the mini-emergencies of Dreaded Moving Week, I felt that old familiar feeling again: that house affection that plants itself in your soul and scatters its seed to every part of you. I'm in now, y'all. It's here. It's beginning.

Hope you're ready for this new adventure. 

Have a great weekend, and we'll talk much next week, Lord willing. -Brin

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been ready for this adventure for as long as you have and I'm so excited for you!!! I can't wait for each post! As for that side of the shed, I'll have to think on that but I'm sure it will be so Brin! :)

Patsy from Illinois said...

Sorry you had all those problems the first week in. HOpefully they are all taken care of and now for the good stuff. I think I would plant holly hocks along that wall and maybe a pretty sort of fountain or thermometer in the middle. It needs something to break it up a bit. Again, congrats on the move!

Sherry said...

well golly gee willikers! that's a mess of handymen types to take *care* of the mess. i'm hoping you're morning coffee is strong and God's strength even stronger. hugs. from here on out it can only get better. :)

i imagine an espalier tree against the side of that structure. don't know about how your sunshine works in that particular location but it's a thought.. here's a link: http://www.mnlocavore.com/2011/05/edible-landscapes/olympus-digital-camera-102/

keeping you in prayer and pondering that the restoration of our homes is SO like the restoration of our hearts in Him.

blessings...

LindaSonia said...

If it's a view you'll be looking at constantly then I see windows cut in with flower boxes!! Have fun!

Trixie said...

Patsy beat me to it but I was going to say Hollyhocks or sunflowers. They would be nice and tall. Sunflowers would also produce seeds to eat or share with the birds. I am also very excited to read about your projects.

Terri Steffes said...

I love a blank wall! Tall flowers, stained glass windows, window boxes, aidrondack chairs... it will be a joy to do.

That is a lot of repairmen.

Praying for smooth sailing from now on...

Gail said...

None of that sounds fun, but you have vision and every day you will find progress. I am so happy for you and Josh. God has brought beauty from ashes hasn't He?

Aubrey said...

Congrats on getting the house! There's something so satisfying about transforming your environment with hard work. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to your new home! <3 Oh I am sorry it has been such a difficult start. Hope things settle down from here on in :) xx

Adrienne said...

It's good to hear that you are in! I'm so sorry you've had to go through the problems but, hopefully, you are starting to do something that you *want* to do! I see a trellis with, perhaps, a climbing rose on that wall, an old-fashioned garden of sorts, and some yard art. I know whatever you decide will be perfect! I can't wait to see more.
~Adrienne~

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Ah! the joys of home ownership!
It sounds like a rough week, but what a way to get acquainted with your home.
The shop looks much better with immediate yard cleared, and the path...looks like it has a story to tell.
can't wait to hear all about it!

small said...

I'm so happy you're finally IN!

I like sunflowers, and also climbing roses. Some yellow ones, maybe? You are in Texas, after all!

Betty said...

It's a blank canvas waiting for your touch Brin. I know it will look awesome wahtever you decide. A window hung on the wall would look nice with a window box of flowers underneath. All good ideas here..but what will you want?? :)

Anonymous said...

With all the work that will go on in the inside of that little shed, I see a small patio with an outdoor grill/dining area and a small bar.

A Beloved Victory said...

How about a wooden barn quilt to represent the blessing of love, home, and talents you share?

Amy Nicole
A Beloved Victory

Rebecca said...

My first thought was some fun, funky garden art on that outside wall, along with climbing flowers of some sort, a vine, with a trellis maybe? Love the sunflower idea too! especially with something fun hanging on the wall. I also love the idea of a small patio for grilling and cafe dining, especially since you have a stone walk to the kitchen. What wonderful potential!

So sorry to hear about the problems...but its all fixable! What an adventure you have ahead of you, and I can't wait to hear all about it!