Thursday, May 20, 2010

Monograph on May, Photograph of Millie

Millie Out Walking
by Jim

May has been so full and the week days so brutal. I'm staying in a hotel in a strange place, six days a week, pouring over legal documents, Excel spreadsheets and paperwork. Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. I do that until it's time to do reports. Or attend meetings. Why are there so many meetings? Oil and gas brokers love meetings. I yawn and tap my pen on my paperwork and mentally bow out, leaving the suits behind as I dream of knitting and pies and sagging clotheslines and picket fences. I don't enjoy this business but am unspeakably grateful for the job. Means to an end, Brin. It's a means to an end.

But the weekends? Saturdays are every bit as sweet as Mondays are brutal. Saturday I started reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and was too delighted for words.

I picked wild blackberries and searched dusty cookbooks for jam recipes, a blackberry tart in mind.

I lay on my back and stared at stars, outlining their heavenly shapes with my finger.

I followed Millie through wildflowers and clover meadows, walking everywhere and nowhere.

And I slept. I put a lace-trimmed case on my pillow and slept the sleep of a child: dreamless, heavy, and deep.

Here's to a mundane month, missing you, and another weekend coming 'round the bend.  -Brin

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mundane can be so nice when one is besieged by so many responsibilites.
Thanks for the cute pic of Millie. I hope the means to an end gets you into your little cottage. Blessings

Sami Jo said...

To a weekend full of early mornings, deliciously crisp sheets that beckon you to stay so cozy, dreamy tarts accompanied with comfy coffee, sweet Millie kisses and beautiful sunsets gracing your back as you tip-toe through those fields of clover leading you to your nowhere...

The Lady of the House

Tracy said...

The picture of Millie is beautiful! Your weekends sound so blissful. :)

wanderingbtrfly said...

Perfectly put.

Unknown said...

Millie is full grown, and you still growing gracefully! A means to a end....

Susan said...

I loved that book and My inner child is SO much like Miss Flavia DeLuce ... can't wait to read the next in what will eventually be a series of 5 books.

www.flaviadeluce.com/

megan said...

I love how you express yourself! Lovely to read.
I hope this weekend is relaxing and wonderful for you.

Blessings,
Megan

Adrienne said...

Sounds like you had a heavenly weekend. Love the photo of Millie!
~Adrienne~