Thursday, July 16, 2009

Courage Is the Only Thing

Success is never found.
Failure is never fatal.
Courage is the only thing.
-Winston Churchill

I adore this quote. Success isn't arbitrary and failure isn't fatal. But courage - ah, courage. Courage is the key.

I'm not much of a reality TV watcher, but my Mom was glued to America's Got Talent last night so I joined in. I was taken by Mia Boostrom's performance. Apparently the 16-year old tried to land a contestant slot on the show last year and was turned away. But there she was again this year, proving that success isn't found, failure isn't fatal, and courage is the only thing. She played and sang again, and this time she triumphed. I loved her and I loved her voice.

Every now and again you just need someone to remind you....

8 comments:

tara said...

what a beautiful performance of that song. We love us some Georgia over here! :) and what a beautiful quote! I just love it! Esp when times are extremely hard for us right now. IRS garnishing my husband's wages and we don't know how our bills are going to get paid. (it's a long story) anyway, thank you for your spirit. you stay strong. HE's got us in his hands... even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes.

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Thanks for sharing this. You're right, all there is to do is pick oneself up and go!! C

Unknown said...

We like this show too and so glad this girl is brave enough to follow her dream. Perfect quote! Hugs to you Brin, your on my mind!

Shelley in SC said...

Great object lesson! ". . . let there be no cowardice or flinching but fear not, neither become broken in spirit, depressed, dismayed and unnerved with alarm!" Deut. 31:8 (Loving it in the Amplified!)

Tara said...

WOW...that should give everyone who dusts off and picks back up some hope! AMEN? Key word is HOPE.

Patsy from Illinois said...

Brin, I was watching a movie, "The Ultimate Gift" last night and I thought about you. There is a part where James Garner says one of the best things that could ever happen is losing everything. It makes you open your eyes and get ya' to thinking.

I almost lost everything when I had to file bankruptcy. I was very sick, had huge medical bills and had to leave my job of 13 years. Things looked bleak but it turned out okay. I am still working on things but I survived and you will too. Have a blessed day. Keep your eyes open for a sign from God that He is guiding the way.

Amy said...

You pick yourself up,
Dust yourself off,
And start - all - over again!

So inspiring are the ones that keep trying, and are better people for it. And she certainly seems to be one of those who will be better for picking herself up again. Thanks for sharing!!

Michelle said...

What a beautiful, beautiful voice. I've always loved that song. :) What a nice evening..spending time with mom too. You are an inspiration, Brin! Always remember that. :)