Sunday, December 30, 2007

Winter Afternoon

Climb, then, into this paradise...
this pretty world of peace.
-Rose Macaulay


It's an afternoon of woolly warmth and Vanilla Spice Tea. I'm almost finished with my knitted/crocheted scarflette, which came together all delicate and lofty-like with this yarn from JoAnn. Even from the store shelf it seemed to promise a vanilla winter afternoon. And it has. It does. Pretty world of peace.

I got The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life for Christmas. It's charming, down to its recipe for homemade furniture polish. Definitely going to try that. The book stays in my knitting basket for now, so when I need a change in scenery I can flip it open and read about chopping wood. (Which, believe it or not, I need to know. I'm almost wrote another Girl's Guide To.... this fall, recounting my harrowing and hilarious attempt at chopping wood. Sheesh. If I can manage to chop off the edge of my finger with a knife, I'm terrified to think of what I could have lopped off with a sure-enough axe. But hey. At least now I know how to chop wood.)

But for now I think I'll stick with tea and knitting. Seems more in keeping with a winter paradise of peace, anyhow.

*Bonus: Who knew Jennifer Worick checked out this blog? Read her comment regarding her book by clicking below. (And thanks again, Jennifer, for teaching me to chop wood!)

9 comments:

Betty said...

I feel all warm and cozy just looking at your post today..knitting, tea and a book, just the right mixture for sitting by the fireplace!
The book sounds very interesting!

Jennifer Worick said...

I love the photo you took with yarn and my book! I hope it makes you feel as warm and cozy as a handknit sweater!

Anonymous said...

hi brin, a girlfriend turned me on to your blog a few weeks ago and i love visiting with you here in cyberspace. i have a bit of home envy for your digs at Freeman House, I confess.

Love the Angry Chicken link. Come visit on my blog any time.

peace and love to you and yours,
patty

Deb said...

Wishing you a Very Happy New Year Brin!

Anonymous said...

i think this is the year you will be famous-er. :-> love and happpy new year wishes today!! connie

Adrienne said...

Brin - You have inspired me to make a trip to Joanne's soon. I wondered how I would like to spend part of my afternoon and evening and maybe tomorrow. I'm thinking knitting the New Year in would be the way to go - with a cup of tea and a good book added. Beside the fire. Thank you for your words that have challenged me, touched my heart and inspired me to reach a bit higher and dig a little deeper this year. I'm so glad I 'met' you. I wish for you many of the best blessings possible this new year. ~Adrienne~

Teresa said...

Brin--your pictures look so cozy. There's nothing better than tea, knitting, and a good book to soothe our souls.

MyLifeWithTrent said...

Brin, you, like nothing else in my life, have made me want to learn to knit! It's my goal for the year! Thanks for all the inspiration dear one.

Unknown said...

What a great day, knitting with tea, almost sounds like a book! Speaking of, I want that book, I knew it would be good but then again, I can probably get the same advise from your tales! I'm still laughing at the lawn mower one! lol