Monday, December 10, 2007

Monday Moment: From Manger to Cross to Home


If you're a Christian, there's something powerfully sweet and deeply meaningful about this time of year. Sure, you can enjoy the Christmas lights... the sweet delights... the silent nights... but there's something about that manger - something about the Baby wrapped in swaddling clothes- that speaks to your heart and settles your soul and leaves you pining for home.

Ever noticed how Christmas - unlike any other holiday - seems to revolve around home? I mean, what do we sing? How about: I'll be home for Christmas. And: Oh, there's no place like home for the holidays. And not only do we sing about home, but we trim them, too. We invite people to them. We buy tickets and gas to get back to them. Home. Home....

It makes sense if you think about it. Christmas is a story that ultimately deals with home. It speaks of how a loving Father looked down on a lost and hopeless world and decided that He - through His precious Son - would leave His heavenly home and come here... here... to seek and to save us. And He did. After securing a stable and roping a star and calling a census, God put Mary and Joseph on a path leading away from home toward Bethlehem. A path that ultimately led baby Jesus from a manger to a ministry to a cross.

And He did it all... well, He did it all... so you and I could one day be at home with Him. And to think it all began at Christmas. The manger led to the cross, and the cross led home.

If you're a Christian, there's something powerfully sweet and deeply meaningful about home this time of year, wouldn't you say?

I must needs go home by the way of the cross,
There’s no other way but this;
I shall ne’er get sight of the gates of light,
If the way of the cross I miss.
The way of the cross leads home,
The way of the cross leads home,
It is sweet to know as I onward go,
The way of the cross leads home.
-Jessie B. Pounds, 1906

[You've probably heard about them already, but the crosses pictured in this post are the work of Texas artist Barbara Clopton and are available through her shop, Crossations. Barbara is still accepting custom orders for the holidays (I know because I just got a GORGEOUS one... and am about to order another). You can reach Barbara and view her creations by clicking here.]

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I love looking at your photo's that you post! do you take them your self?

Seawashed said...

Wow, our pastor just began a new teaching series yesterday (until Christmas) entitled "I'll be Home for Christmas" and it was about the very same thing you are talking about.

Unknown said...

So true Brin, so true!! Love those crosses, she does lovely work! Stay safe and warm in Oz! lol Will you be home for Christmas?

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

You'll go blind, Mothers voice is ringing in my head :)....I just love sitting in the dark at my computer, drinking my coffee staring at your pictures and reading your Monday Moments! Sometimes it brings me to tears. The rose hips, the trees and this morning crosses...breath taking photos Brin.

I've managed to stay away from the stores and shopping this year as I've purchased little trinkets for my loved ones long ago, in fact there are wonderful bargains after Christmas everyone 50-90% off. I really want to focus on the reason for the season.

And Brin, what a wonderful blessing you are! Have a wonderful day dear friend!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry. Thank you...

Betty said...

Home for Christmas..that says so many things! I am looking forward to spending time with loved ones this Christmas. My mother passed away 3 years ago in fall and she truly "is home for Christmas".

Vee said...

Thank you for Monday Moments. I look forward to them all week. The call of "home" is always strong, isn't it!

The crosses are so very unique. I'm always amazed by such creativity.

Miss Gracie's House said...

How true! A touch of truth for this busy time! Thank you...Merry Christmas!
Rene'

Anonymous said...

Brin, I just love these crosses, you always find the loveliest things. i've been to Barbaras site and its just gorgeous. thanks for the FIND!!! connie