Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pet Preparedness

Millie is in the doorway of the house in Kansas and, despite my pleadings, won't come out to play in the 8 inches of snow. I didn't want to get out either, but we ran out of dog food. Here I am, careful in my preparations, and run out of dog food in the first 3 days of a winter storm.

Oops. I have to do better.

For those of us with pets, let's be prepared. As we ready our families, homes and pantries for tough times, let's not neglect our precious pets. Here, then, is a quick guideline of what I'm trying to keep on hand for the animal in my life:

Food. Keep at least 2 weeks of food in a clean, airtight container.
Water. Store at least 1/2 gallon of water per pet, per day. (More or less depending on animal's needs and time of year.)
Pet Medicine and Medical Records. My vet had no trouble advancing me extra of Millie's medicine. In some instances, this may not be practical or possible. Do what you can. Also, keep a copy of your pet's current vaccination records on hand.
First Aid Kit. For a pet? Absolutely. Bandage rolls, antibiotic ointment, alcohol wipes, latex gloves, flea and tick medicine, etc., are good to have on hand. Keep one at home and one in the car if you can.
Current Picture. A large, printed photo of your pet will be invaluable should he/she go missing or be separated from your family during a disaster.
Carrier, Crate or Harness. Depending on your animal, you'll need something suitable for transporting your pet and keeping them safe. A favorite blanket, toy, or treat inside wouldn't hurt, either.

Undoubtedly there are other things you can add to this list depending on your pet, your location, and your lifestyle. Think it over and stock up for your pet as your time and budget allows.

For a complete list and more information on pet preparedness, check out the ASPCA approved cheat sheet on ready.gov listed here. (See, even the government recommends this preparation.) And as always, if you have suggestions or tips, please leave them in the comments so we can all learn. Thank you!

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the information. I am going to begin to gather my 'stash' of things for my Mini Doxie, Joey, and my sweet kitty, Miss Savannah. It will give a sense of peace knowing that I'm prepared! This would have been easy to overlook - thanks for helping us.
~Adrienne~

Michelle said...

I am loving your preparedness advice, Brin! Thank you so much. I am going to start my supplies. Millie is so grown up and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Nice posts, Brin! I also thought i'd give some of your readers a point in the direction of this month's (Jan 11) Hobby Farm magazine. They say pretty much the same things you do here, but for larger farm animals. Also has good advice for how to keep them safe during emergencies with regard to pasturing them or not.

Another great resource for preparedness tips (besides your blog) is the book Independence Days by Michele Noble.

Keep safe and warm!
--Whit

Unknown said...

Millie is a lovely lady, she grew up so fast!

Susan said...

Yes, so lovely to see the chocolate brown girl. She's a beauty.