Friday, June 1, 2007

Rest

By the seventh day
God had finished the work
He had been doing;
so on the seventh day
He rested from all His work.
-Genesis 2:2



This has been one of the busiest weeks I've had since leaving the city. Next week I'm juggling my full-time job, teaching Vacation Bible School and trying to get parts of Freeman House finished for my summer knitting class. Egad! The longer my to-do list gets, the more I want to crawl into my fluffy bed and piece my quilt and eat biscuits and Bumbleberry Jam.

I saw this quilt on Heather Bailey's blog a few weeks ago and decided it would be perfect for a guest room. I'm making my hexagons larger (3 inches) and have changed the design a bit, but the concept is still the same. Isn't it beautiful?

Well, I think so.

You know, speaking of curling up with a quilt, I think God was really onto something when He rested that seventh day. I've often wondered why He did. It's not as if He needed to. Perhaps He did it as an example. Perhaps He did it to show us that every few days we need to stop and look at everything we've created and rest. Just rest. We're all so tired. So burned out. So drained and stretched and exhausted. I wonder how our lives would change for the better if we would follow God's example and take one day out of the week and rest?

What a luxury that would be, huh?

Enjoy your weekend. And try... try to get some rest! -Brin

8 comments:

sheila from life @ #17 said...

It is beautiful :)

and I find that when Mr G and myself make a point of not loading Sundays up with chores, house projects and shopping, that we feel much better about lots of things :)

Kathleen Grace said...

Your quilt is going to be beautiful,Brin. I never have the patience to cut out all those little pieces so precisley.

Brigitta said...

love that quilt Brin, I'm too impatient for quilting (mind you, I do have the patience for x-stitching)I don't like all the preparing befor you can finally put it all together.

Betty said...

Did I mention I love your blog? If not, I am here saying so now..teehee. this is one time I wish I could reach into a photograph. I would flip those little flowers over so I could see how they were made. Blessings to you, Brin. I'm glad your guardian angel was watching over you the other night!

Lallee said...

I'm so impressed with your quilting. That is not an easy pattern to piece. It's going to be beautiful. Hope you have a moment to rest this weekend~it sounds good to me ;-)

smilnsigh said...

Oh my! You do have a lot on your plate! Seems a day of rest would be a very good idea. Common sense even.

But then, I want to crawl in my bed and eat biscuits and Bumbleberry Jam too. So, maybe I'm prejudiced... on this day of rest issue. :-))))

Mari-Nanci

Unknown said...

Love the quilt Brin!! I've forgotten what rest is, with so much to do and little time I just never seem to get ahead!

blessings said...

This resting business is a lesson God has been repeating over and over in my life lately. Thank you for posting about it. -countingyorublessings.blogspot.com