Monday, October 9, 2006

The House Helper... with Pattern

 
Ah, the knitted, round cloths. These are a staple at Freeman House- so much so that I've begun calling them House Helpers. I use them for everything around the house.

Ah, the knitted, round cloths. These are a staple at Freeman House- so much so that I've begun calling them House Helpers. I use them for everything around the house. I dust with them. I wash and dry dishes with them. I scrub windows with them and wipe mirrors with them and clean, clean, clean with them. They're perfect, and oh so pretty drying beside the sink or hanging from the clothesline.

Do you knit? If not, do you know someone who does? Find them, or find your knitting needles, and whip up a few of these. Make them for yourself. Make them for friends. (Christmas 2004 was all about three of these tied with a bow and a bottle of Bath & Body Works Anti-Bacterial Soap and given as gifts. Big hit.)

House HelpersWorsted Weight Cotton (100% cotton)
Size 8 or 9 Knitting Needles

Pattern:
Cast on 15 sts
*Knit 1 row
k 3, yo, k 11, leaving 1 st on needle
Turn, knit across
k 3, yo, k 11, leaving 2 sts on needle
Turn, knit across
k 3, yo, k 11, leaving 3 sts on needle
Turn, knit across
bo 3 sts, k 2, yo, k 8, leaving 4 sts on needle
Turn, knit across
k 3, yo, k 8, leaving 5 sts on needle
Turn, knit across
k 3, yo, k 8, leaving 6 sts on needle
Turn, knit across
bo 3 sts, k 2, yo, k 5, leaving 7 sts on needle
Turn, knit across
k 3, yo, k 5, leaving 8 sts on needle
Turn, knit across
k 3, yo, k 5, leaving 9 sts on needle
Turn, knit across
bo 3 sts, knit to end (15 stitches)*
Bind off all sts

Repeat sections * to * six times more (for a total of 7 sections or 21 points). Draw up center of cloth and sew together first and last rows. Weave in ends.

And there you have it! I hope you enjoy these cloths as much as I (and my gift recipients!) have. Happy knitting!  -Brin

7 comments:

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Thanks Brin. I'm going to try these.

Have a nice trip too. Blog us along the way, OK?

Blessings,

Sher

Deb said...

Thanks for the pattern Brin - these are wonderful! They knit up really fast and will make great little gifts. I've posted pics of two I made :-}
Have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

Brin, last week I needed a break from the size 0 needles I was using and decided to make one of these. One turned into 4 with plans for many more. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

simple living said...

Hi Brin,
I love your dishcloth pattern. Did you create it? I have a question, my daughter (14yo) and I would like to use this pattern to knit up a bunch and sell them at the children's boutique next Fall (she is trying to earn some money for a pre-paid phone) and would like to know if we may use the pattern for the project. We also wonder what type of/company's yarn do you use for the cloth? I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. It is very soothing - not sure if it is because of the knitting? :) Any how, you have inspired both my daughter and I back to knitting, and for that, we thank you. Have a blessed day!

Brin said...

Thanks you guys!

Simple Living - I tried to contact you through Blogger but couldn't. But by all means, please use this pattern however you see fit. I hope your sale is a huge success!

My best - Brin

Brin said...

Oh. And I use 100% cotton yarn... usually the 'Sugar and Cream' brand...

summerdae said...

I love these little cloths. I find it much easier to make as one piece instead of different sections, I am not one for seaming! On the last BO 3 row when you do not YO and you just knit till the end, turn the work-there should be 15 stitches on the needle, instead of BO all these stitches just start from row 1 of knitting all these stitches than move on to the next step of the knit an yo etc. Makes for an even faster project!