Friday, November 14, 2014

Paper and Clocks

It is not your love that sustains the marriage,
but from now on, the marriage that sustains your love.
-Dietrich Bonhoeffer
 
I read the other the other day that a first anniversary is the paper anniversary.  Tradition says you give paper for that first milestone- stationery, a journal or the like. The modern take is that clocks are appropriate for a first anniversary. 

Guess we'd be good with either.

This wacky guy (above) and I are about to celebrate an anniversary. My, what a year it's been. Take two complete opposites, marry and move them in together, then throw in a new business, an illness, a ministry and community to participate in, a new puppy, and a obligatory settling-in period as a new couple, and we've had one hectic, crazy year.

Here's what I've learned: the man will eat almost everything... sleep through almost everything... and be there for definitely everything. This guy is remarkable.

We've had to teach each other a lot already. On paper, we were successful, accomplished adults. In reality, we're both stubborn first-borns with a lot to learn. He's pushing me out of my introvert comfort bubble. I'm forcing him out of his bachelor one. He's showing me things about myself I didn't know. I swing the mirror around and show him things about himself, too. We argue and we laugh. We disagree and we cuddle. We wonder why- how- we ended up together, then we talk and remember and know.

Sometimes I look at that paper marriage license and wonder how something so fragile can bear witness to something so monumental-- two lives becoming one. Two hearts becoming one. I suppose only the clock will tell. Love will not sustain a marriage, but a marriage will sustain love. 

Here's to both. 

May that paper we signed a year ago testify of something that lasts the test of time. Happy anniversary, Josh.



8 comments:

Terri Steffes said...

Happy anniversary! He looks like the sweet guy you describe! Many prayers for your wonderful future!

Sue Neitzel said...

This was worth the wait!! I'm so happy for you, he's perfect for you!! Happy Anniversary and praying for a lifetime of firsts!!

Durf said...

Dude's handsome! I pray for many happy, healthy years in your future.

Melissa H. said...

Thank you for sharing your life with us. I have learned so much about homemaking from reading your lovely posts. I am so happy for you in your marriage and wish you all the best!

Anonymous said...

Anniversary blessings!!!

JAne
Andwearpearls.blogspot.com

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

He looks very nice! So glad you are posting again!
V

Rebecca said...

Aww, I'm glad we finally get to see Josh. What a sweet smile. He's a handsome guy, Brin!

Gail said...

I remember your posts as you poured out your heart yearning for the love of your life; you found him.

May you both continue in love and peace.